Tools to carry?

jjrbus

they can be as long as you want them to. you may need to drill a self tapping mount for them.. the biggest complaint i have seen on those is that they throw off balance on the wheels and cause shuddering if not balanced properly.

JJR, I have and hate that same chop saw.  love that story about pulling out the welder at the rest stop............:P    how to make friends and influence people.....   my HF drill survived 3 drops from the roof of our cabin, about 20'.  plastic broke but it worked for quite a while, until I dropped it again. 

this compressor seemed to be what a lot of the Nomads folks use, and as noted, I figure they're the experts on this cuz they air big offroad tires down and back up so often..  I have one but haven't used it much yet.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442866_200442866

another thing to add to the list:  red and black primary wire in 10 and 14 gauge, about 2' of each.

43 minutes ago, red-ryder said:

on the first page changing rear tires mentioned....................my recent purchased Sunrader has high-tread rear tires, access to the outer tire-valve stem is reasonable, BUT

on my bucket-list is pulling the rear tire-set......AND installing extension hoses from the inner valve stems. anyone know how long these extensions need to be?

Ebay has 'extensions' starting at 7 inches long, some rubber, some stainless steel, again how-bout your hard-earned experience stories? the big-rigs i've driven have had them, but i have not seen extensions mentioned as i've read thru this site.

thanx red

I am biased, I do not like valve extensions! I almost lost a new $400 tire because of a valve extension! And recently on my trip home with the Toy I do not know if the valve extension broke and caused a blowout or the blow out broke the valve extension?

OE Toyota valve stems properly placed with the right dual foot air chuck are cheaper and in my not so humble opinion safer. 

There are aftermarket stems that are cheaper, but need to be bent to fit properly.   A search of the archives should bring you the info.     HTH  Jim

5 hours ago, payaso del mar said:

well, not sure Ryobi makes hand tools yet.......  Totem, point well taken.  I bought that 20 yrs ago when I was young stupid and poor.  pretty much stuck (and happy) with Dewalts now since have a batch of tools and batteries.  bet it will work for emergencies tho.

I use a lot of HF stuff, but more often their power tools.  after I smoked the HF angle grinder, replaced it with a dewalt and was amazed at how much less vibration and consequent hand fatigue I was getting.

What color was your HF grinder?  I was the tool purchaser for a diesel shop.  We used to have the big all-metal Sioux angle-grinders, along with Millaukee, Metabo. Makita, etc.  We decided to try the yellow HF grinders (the yellow ones) and they held up every bit as good as the former name-brand grinders we had. I bought my first HF grinder (9" I think) in 1978 and have used it a lot for many, many, years. I had to replace the cord once - but other then that - it has been bullet proof. Same with the yellow 4" or 4.5" angle-grinders.

3 hours ago, payaso del mar said:

JJR, I have and hate that same chop saw.  love that story about pulling out the welder at the rest stop............:P    how to make friends and influence people.....   my HF drill survived 3 drops from the roof of our cabin, about 20'.  plastic broke but it worked for quite a while, until I dropped it again. 

this compressor seemed to be what a lot of the Nomads folks use, and as noted, I figure they're the experts on this cuz they air big offroad tires down and back up so often..  I have one but haven't used it much yet.  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442866_200442866

another thing to add to the list:  red and black primary wire in 10 and 14 gauge, about 2' of each.

I like the compressor, has 1/4" NPT fittings which the HF ones I looked at don't, That would give me the ability to use my  air chuck.  I looked at the harbor Freight ones but I could not read the gauge so bought it and changed to a decent gauge, then put my dual foot on.   I will keep looking but this one is high on the list and I am wondering if 120V may be ok?    Jim

JD, grinder was the orange one. in fairness, it was getting extreme duty, resto of an old aluminum StarCraft boat.  but based on that experience, I don't just look at whether the tool will die before the end of the job.  i'm not buying for a fleet and my quality of life matters...hands are getting arthritic fast enough already.

Jim, I know some folks use a 120V compressor if they have inverter or generator.  probably lots faster than a wimpy 12V compressor if your inv or gen will deal with the startup amps and you don't mind the bulk and weight.

Edited by payaso del mar