Year and engine please. EFI or carbed?

Sounds like a classic case of dieseling. See if the carb as an up idle solenoid and if it works. The up idle works when the key is on, it raises the idle speed to normal. When you turn the key off the throttle is closed all the way. If the throttle is open just a bit the engine will run on with hot spots in the cylinder head igniting the fuel. The timing is way off and the engine will shudder or even run backwards. Some times somebody adjusts the idle speed with the wrong thing.

Just adding to what WME posted.  Besides the fast-idle solenoid system - one other thing to check.  See if the choke is actually opening all the way. If not the engine will be on a metal ramp that makes it idle too fast.  Also check for a broken or leaking vacuum line, or a choke-pod not working and leaking.  My carb from my 20R has two choke vacuum pull-off pods and they were both bad when I checked them.

post1.JPG

Every one that made cars in the late 60's up to the point they went to fuel injection had issues  with run on. Usually the problem was high idle (hanging linkage, choke cams, cables etc),idle kick solenoids or fuel shut off valves not working properly. The idle kick and the fuel shut off were both controlled by the ign switch and were only on when the key was so once the key was off it either dropped the idle to a point it wouldn't idle or shut off the fuel passage way. Other things can cause this but they are pretty extreme cases. Toyota chose fuel shut off, with the engine running disconnect the wire that goes to the fuel shut off it should a least slow the engine at idle or stall it. if it has no effect look for some thing that maybe hanging any of the linkage up. Any thing above maybe 800 rpm may well be enough to cause it to run on.

I have a dgv 32/36 Weber carb. Not sure if this is related but when I turn the ignition on it ideals high at 1500,I have to tap the gas to get it down to 700. Is this yellow wire the one we're talking about to the fuel shutoff? It's the Only wire I see from the carb

image.jpeg

Edited by candace

Yellow wire is 12v for the choke heater. The 1500/700 idle thing sounds normal. The Weber does not have the up idle solenoid. There maybe a solenoid kit for AC up idle that could be use the same way  

Take the air cleaner off and check all the linkage and choke when the engine is hot.

Your engine is built as a old time hot rod engine, did you have it done or did it come that way when you bought the RV?

Edited by WME

50 minutes ago, WME said:

Yellow wire is 12v for the choke heater. The 1500/700 idle thing sounds normal. The Weber does not have the up idle solenoid. There maybe a solenoid kit for AC up idle that could be use the same way  

Take the air cleaner off and check all the linkage and choke when the engine is hot.

Your engine is built as a old time hot rod engine, did you have it done or did it come that way when you bought the RV?

Previous owner is a mechanic. He rebuilt the motor and modified for more horsepower with weber carb and header.

My throttle cable is fraying. I wonder if that's causing a hangup.

5 hours ago, candace said:

I have a dgv 32/36 Weber carb. Not sure if this is related but when I turn the ignition on it ideals high at 1500,I have to tap the gas to get it down to 700. Is this yellow wire the one we're talking about to the fuel shutoff? It's the Only wire I see from the carb

image.jpeg

Yes that is the heater wire for your electric choke your carb is not a Toytoa carb it is an aftermarket Weber. They are good carbs but have no previsions that treat run on. So yes when it cold it will idle high until the choke heater opens the choke but once it's warm it should idle down by it's self and you should not have to kick the throttle. If that wire has no power with the key on that needs to be fixed. Completely hot it should just stay in the 6-7 hundred rpm range at idle.

A frayed cable could hang up causing the problem. Has the problem just started or is it a long time thing?

The oil filter is on the carb side. Something got bumped or pushed, both to do and undo

try this:  give the throttle a healthy stab just as you turn the key off, so the rpms are still rising as the ignition cuts off.  not sure why, but this seemed to stop dieseling issues on several cars I had back in the 70s.  maybe because the spray of fuel from the accelerator pump cools the heated bits that are continuing to ignite things?

Try turning it off in gear also takes a far amount of power just to keep it running and the idle will be lower.