Eternabond vs MFM 'Peel And Stick'

jjrbus

The front roof seam on my Toy where the fiberglass and aluminum meet needs attention. I poked around the net and Eternabond is talked about often. Nobody in the area seems to carry Eternabond, Camping World has some different choices, but expensive.

I stopped by Home Depot and they do not seem to have an equivalent or clone.

I stopped at Mobile HOme Depot and they carry a couple different roof tapes, one of which is MFM peel an stick. Reading the directions for Eternabond and MFM they appear to be the same thing?

Except Eternabond is $55 for a 4"X50' roll and MFM is $15 for a 4"X35' roll. I need about 7' so hate to spend the money for 50'!

Anyone with any experience or opinions with this?

http://www.mfmbp.com/purchase/store/tabid/81/ProdID/3/CatID/1/Peel_and_Seal_PowerBond_White.aspx

https://www.eternabond.com/

My Itasca has a seam up front that was leaking from damage from both an accident and what looked like tree limb damage (punctures). I used something similar on my first roof repair attempt. My advice is to focus on cleaning and prepping. The failure of the adhesive between the two panels is what I should have focused on first time rather than just attempting to cover up the problem with a large bandaid. I had other issues besides this seam but make sure the underlying seam is solid underneath before covering it up. Also clean and prep the surface well to ensure the adhesives bond properly.

Also if you want Eternabond, Amazon has 4" X 10' for less than $20

The front roof seam on my Toy where the fiberglass and aluminum meet needs attention. I poked around the net and Eternabond is talked about often. Nobody in the area seems to carry Eternabond, Camping World has some different choices, but expensive.

I stopped by Home Depot and they do not seem to have an equivalent or clone.

I stopped at Mobile HOme Depot and they carry a couple different roof tapes, one of which is MFM peel an stick. Reading the directions for Eternabond and MFM they appear to be the same thing?

Except Eternabond is $55 for a 4"X50' roll and MFM is $15 for a 4"X35' roll. I need about 7' so hate to spend the money for 50'!

Anyone with any experience or opinions with this?

http://www.mfmbp.com/purchase/store/tabid/81/ProdID/3/CatID/1/Peel_and_Seal_PowerBond_White.aspx

https://www.eternabond.com/

jjrbus,

I've used the silver/aluminum faced version on several houses with excellent results. My Home Depot didn't carry the white. The last time was 3 years ago to seal a horizontal lap joint in steel/aluminum at the top of a boxed in manufactured chimney. No leaks so far. I was up there this summer for another purpose and all looked fine.

At that same job I slid sideways a bit into a handrail. The result was a small crack or puncture in my fiberglass siding about the size of a matchbook. I cleaned the area with MEK or acetone and applied a "temporary" patch. Yep, it is still there.

I hate to post anything but questions here as I don't have my toy box yet. But I have used the product - unlike the naysaying experts on camping world's forums.

fleamarketeer

When I looked for eternabond I could only find 50' rolls!

Spent some time searching and found people that use the Peel & Seal with good results. Only difference I found is Peel & Seal is slightly thicker and Eternabond can be put on in colder temperatures. Eternabond Co was founded in 1999 and puts a lot of effort into marketing to RV's, MFM is a 50 year old company that does not push the RV market and has the same 10 year guarantee.

So will use the MFM product Jim

jjrbus,

I've used the silver/aluminum faced version on several houses with excellent results. My Home Depot didn't carry the white. The last time was 3 years ago to seal a horizontal lap joint in steel/aluminum at the top of a boxed in manufactured chimney. No leaks so far. I was up there this summer for another purpose and all looked fine.

At that same job I slid sideways a bit into a handrail. The result was a small crack or puncture in my fiberglass siding about the size of a matchbook. I cleaned the area with MEK or acetone and applied a "temporary" patch. Yep, it is still there.

I hate to post anything but questions here as I don't have my toy box yet. But I have used the product - unlike the naysaying experts on camping world's forums.

fleamarketeer

You must have posted as I was typing! I have used similar products on houses and I suspect it is all the same thing, just marketed different. My entire Laina roof 10X40 is covered with a similar product. I guarantee you it does not cost $50+ dollars for a 4"X50' roll! I expect it to last 10 to 15 years. Thanks Jim

• 2 weeks later...

not exactly related but i've seen tons of people use peel and seal in car audio , it falls off trunk lids , it slidesdown doors , it stinks when it gets hot , some of this won't be an issue but i'd be really worried that it will hold up if temps get hot . if you opt for peel and seal you will want to prep big time .

I puchased Eternabond on Ebay and don't recall paying that much for it. I am pleased with the results. It is somewhat difficult to use in that peeling away the film from the sticky side can be tricky and if for some reason you allow any portion of it to touch another, you can throw it away because they are bonded for good. The other thing is that the surface you are going to apply the Eternabond to must be thoroughly cleaned. Eternabond will NOT bond over silicone! I have a friend who used Mfm with excellent results and it is not as expensive. There is a You tube video that I suggest watching prior to using Eternabond.

Thanks for the input. I have been busy painting the house and spending a few minutes here and there on the Toy. I have it parked at an angle where the water does not seep in. Of course in the meantime I have hurt my shoulder, the toilet breaks and on and on. And Jan is the heaviest rain month ever for FL, 12 inches so far!

After poking around on the net and experimenting I have decided the MFM is not the same as Eternabond and am not going to use it. Another forum thinks using Dicor self leveling lap sealant and Eternabond is the way to go. Seems like overkill to me, so am going to use the Dicor and see what happens.

For the caulk I bought Proflex RV. I also cannot tell if what they are selling locally as butyl rubber tape is actually butyl putty tape ,there is a stack of rolls on a shelf with no markings and it is $4 a roll. So I ordered the Dicor tape.

I ordered all from Amazon as I have Prime and get free shipping. Jim