1993 Toyota Dolphin 900 Propane Tank

John A

I discovered today when I took the propane tank out to get a refill that the local propane place refused to fill the tank. I suspected the tank did not have the new OPD valve, it did not, and it also installs horizontal instead of vertical. Any one out there who has had the same problem and found a solution I sure would like to know what it is. I do not believe the tank can simply have a new OPD valve and still work in a horizontal position but I do not know that for a fact. The motorhome does not have enough space to replace the horizontal tank witrh one that is vertical...........Any suggestions or solutions..???? John A

You will periodically find that propane fill station personnel suffer from rectal cranial inversion ( A.K.A. head up their butt). Did you tell them that it was for an RV? They are exempt. The older RV tanks have a bleed valve that does manually what the OPD (overflow protection device) does automatically. Read this.. http://www.damouth.com/RVStuff/OPD.shtml

The solution other than educating the nitwits that you went to is to go to another fill station.

Maybe we have a propane expert that can verify what I have said.

On my 1989, I had the original recertified… Cost me $45, if I lived in the US, I would get this one…

http://www.protanksupply.com/tanks-443-detail.asp?Size=1004

Or maybe the bigger one… (It would just fit in mine)

http://www.protanksupply.com/tanks-443-detail.asp?Size=1007

Hope it helps! :)

Andrew & Heidi

Hello All,

I am in the same boat on the propane tank, I have the original tank in my 1990 Toyota Odyssey

and was refused to fill by a local rental company not because of not having an OPD valve, but

because of the age of my tank. I was told I need to get my tank re-certified. I just talked to

one of my local Propane dealers (sells propane to houses out in the country) and they will

re-certify my tank for only $8.

I am located in Indiana.

Dennis...

I had the same problem with getting refills. Even with the decals (printable copies of this decal are located on this site ) some propane guys still will not fill your tank(s). My Sunrader has two 5 gal tanks located in a side compartment that I replaced. I also had to replace the connector hoses. I bought my tanks on-line from Bi-Lo for about $99 each, plus shipping. However Bi-Lo no longer has a web store.

Allen

post-481-1199817846_thumb.jpg

post-481-1199817880_thumb.jpg

How and where do you find the decals stating that no OPD valve is installed.....Thanks... John A

Go to "Toyota Motorhomes Forum" page.

Scroll down to "Photo Gallery Direct Link" and open.

Scroll down to "Yahoo Files Archieve" and open.

Scroll down to "LP Tank non-OPD Label.pdf" and open.

Follow instructions to view or download.

Allen