In Need Of 1Ton Axle! Does The 4X4 Axle Line Up With Rear Wheel?

Hey there. I just purchased my first sunrader... it is mint. always garaged... however did not come with the 1 ton axle. mine is a 2x4. does the drive shaft on the 4x4 line up with the 2x4 in the back?

If you have the 21 footer you should still get the 1 ton, IMHO.

I sourced mine on Car-part.com and had to have the guys at the shops reach out and "touch" the part so that I didn't end up with a foolie fake dual rear axle with 5 lug. Make sure your yard guy sees the 6 lug before you buy...better yet make em take a pic of the lugs so we can see it. should be 6 of them. I don't believe in the 5 lug 1 ton unicorn axle...

Hey there. I just purchased my first sunrader... it is mint. always garaged... however did not come with the 1 ton axle. mine is a 2x4. does the drive shaft on the 4x4 line up with the 2x4 in the back?

"One ton" and "full floating" rear axle are not necessarily the same thing. There are rear axles from Toyota 1 ton trucks that cannot carry any more weight then what you have now. The upgrade to RVs was about using a full-floating rear with a 6 lug wheel bolt pattern that is totally different then the 6 lug wheels on 4WDs.

btw I got a 1983 if that helps.

1983 might have a different pinion flange then later rear-axles. I'm not sure. I know 1979 is different. At some point in time, early 80s, Toyota changed to wider universal joints and subsequently, a wider bolt pattern where the driveshaft bolts to the rear. I just don't remember which year it happened. Not a big issue anyway. If you got a newer rear axle and your driveshaft flange does not mate up - all you need is an aftermarket pinion-flange that comes with mutliple bolt-patterns and fits any Toyota driveshaft.

1983 might have a different pinion flange then later rear-axles. I'm not sure. I know 1979 is different. At some point in time, early 80s, Toyota changed to wider universal joints and subsequently, a wider bolt pattern where the driveshaft bolts to the rear. I just don't remember which year it happened. Not a big issue anyway. If you got a newer rear axle and your driveshaft flange does not mate up - all you need is an aftermarket pinion-flange that comes with mutliple bolt-patterns and fits any Toyota driveshaft.

@jdemaris ok I see so assuming I'm on car-parts.com and I wanted to search for the axle I need I would search 1 ton 4x2 axle... there would be instances where one would come up that would be a 5 lug?

also so I could be searching for any 1 ton six bolt Toyota axle and would only need an aftermarket pinion flange and I'm all set?

I sourced mine on Car-part.com and had to have the guys at the shops reach out and "touch" the part so that I didn't end up with a foolie fake dual rear axle with 5 lug. Make sure your yard guy sees the 6 lug before you buy...better yet make em take a pic of the lugs so we can see it. should be 6 of them. I don't believe in the 5 lug 1 ton unicorn axle...

@Totem I have the 18 or 19 foot.. whatever the smallest one was is 83

did you find this local to you or did you ship it? if shipped how was you experience? expensive?

They just about all will have a 4.10 to 1 ratio. A few came with 4.30 but they are rare. If searching at Car-Part.com - best search is for a dual wheel rear 1986 or newer. When in doubt - call and ask for the wheel-bolt pattern. A full-floater is 6 lug X 7.25" and no other Toyota in the USA uses that pattern. It's an old Dodge-Ford truck pattern from the 50s.

Best ratio if you want a useful overdrive (if you have overdrive) is 4.56 to 1 that never came OEM on USA dually full-floaters. If a four speed manual with no OD - 4.10 to 1 is fine.

post-6578-0-82339700-1444863499_thumb.jp

Could someone enlighten me about the ratio? what would work best on my 1983 19ft sunrader? I'm seeing a 3.90, 4.10, 4.30.. really appreciate the help guys

Keep in mind when searching for rear-axles at Car-part.com that their database will usually show when as a 3.90 ratio even though most are 4.10 The main thing to verify is the wheel-bolt pattern 6 lug X 7.25". NOT to be confused with the six-lug wheel used on 4WD trucks that is 6 X 5.5"

You want wheels that look like this.

post-6578-0-82551600-1444869293_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-41084700-1444869330_thumb.jp

Keep in mind when searching for rear-axles at Car-part.com that their database will usually show when as a 3.90 ratio even though most are 4.10 The main thing to verify is the wheel-bolt pattern 6 lug X 7.25". NOT to be confused with the six-lug wheel used on 4WD trucks that is 6 X 5.5"

You want wheels that look like this.

oh wow so helpful.. forgive me but when you say 7.25" you are referring to the space between the two lugs opposite each other correct?

My experience was along the lines of paying out the nose for some guys to strip a pretty nice axle off an old uhaul truck and then having to buy separately the wheels. If I got the chance to do it again I would do craigslist and get my wheels included like I have seen so many times in this forum. I think I paid like $1200 for my axle shipped. I also had to have brackets made for it because they did not give me the brackets for the U bolts and the old brackets you have wont fit the new axle. See if you can get them to send you a cut off with the leaf springs complete; in theory you will get the brackets. JDE or Up North may have a source for brackets; I chose to have mine fabricated and mine are WAY overkill but super thick and will never break.