Hi all - I am thinking of adding a Tach inside the instrument cluster where the optional clock went (I think) in my 1982 Sunrader. Does anyone know what the max RPM for this engine is? It is a carburetted 22R engine.

Thanks,

Bill

Thats awful low for a tach. Look into mounting it in one of the pods that go on the windshield pillar.

Bill,

The attached photo shows my 83 Sunrader running 4300 rpm at 79 mph. The engine did not sound like it was laboring. It is also the 22R. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the redline is at 5500 or 6000, I personally wouldn't go higher than 4500.

That is a tach installed in the instrument cluster on the right by the previous owner. I like it fine,

Allen

post-481-1196954609_thumb.jpg

A tach is only useful if it is in an easily visible location.

In the dash or the instrument cluster is the best place.

Mine is inside the binnacle and easy to see

http://www.toymike.com/sunrader/pics/sunTach.jpg

I have an 83 Sunrader with the 22R and 4 speed manual transmission. I also want to get a tach and have the space on the instrument array to put one as shown in the pictures submitted prevously by others in this discussion.

Any suggestions on the make and model of tach I should get?

Thanks,

Bob

I also want to get a tach

I have had good luck with both Autometer and Sun. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those brands.

http://www.autometer.com/

http://www.sunpro.com/

I have an 83 Sunrader with the 22R and 4 speed manual transmission. I also want to get a tach and have the space on the instrument array to put one as shown in the pictures submitted prevously by others in this discussion.

Thanks,

Bob

Can you find an Toyota SR-5 dash panel? It will have more gauges and a tach.

Bob,

As I said before, the former owner put the tach in my 83 Sunrader (top pic), but he replaced the entire instrument cluster (speedometer froze) with one from a wrecked SR5, I believe. He gave me the old cluster to prove the mileage discrepancy.

Allen

Just find an SR-5 panel for the same year.