Manual Hvac Controls - How Do They Work

shibs

Greetings!

The previous owner of my 85 sunrader had the heater coil replaced.

hmm, the hvac controls are all messed up, you can't change it using the controls, it is stuck in foot and windshield.

Can someone pls educate me on how these controls work?

Can I buy a replacement and sway it?

help...

Greetings!

The previous owner of my 85 sunrader had the heater coil replaced.

hmm, the hvac controls are all messed up, you can't change it using the controls, it is stuck in foot and windshield.

Can someone pls educate me on how these controls work?

Can I buy a replacement and sway it?

help...

That is usually a mechanical linkage problem that just needs a bit of adjustment and possibly lubrication to get it freed up and working smoothly again. You might even be able to see them for yourself if you bend down and look underneath. You might have to remove the cover off the climate control area to see where the linkage rods attach at that end.

Fortunately this repair is not very hard to troubleshoot if you have an owner's repair manual such as Chilton's which will very likely have illustrations of which control goes to which linkage location and tell you exactly how to make adjustments to them.

If you don't have a copy of one of those manuals your local public library will subscribe to services that allow you to pull them up online for free and then you can print out the relevant pages. Nowadays the larger library systems often allow you to log into those library functions while at home on the internet using your library card and personal password.

You can buy replacement parts on Ebay and at junk yards but you most likely won't need to buy a part to fix the issue as it should be resolved with adjusting and lubricating the linkages for that specific lever.

I have a 1990, so the layout might be a bit different. I currently have most of my AC/Heating assemblies removed due to a mouse fire. I received my last needed part, the AC Evaporator assembly, so I will be putting it all together this weekend. My blower motor assembly has the foot / windshield vent control. A metal rod/linkage goes from the dash controller area to the blower motor assembly, it connects to a lever that rotates. The lever is connected to a 4 x 6 inch or so flap that controls the direction of the vent. If your dash controller/lever is moving freely, my guess is that the connecting rod is either disconnected at the dash lever, or at the blower motor assembly. If you need parts, check out ebay, just be sure to have the correct part number, most of the parts in the AC/Heater assemblies are numbered.