Little Bit Of Rot

jjrbus

Being somewhat delusional I though I only had a little bit of rot, few inches. 2 hour job. There is a plastic type panel on the bottom of the motorhome to keep moisture out. Also does a great job of keeping it in!! So the rot has spread to the plywood under the floor behind the wheel well. Still could be a lot worse, the rot is limited to this area and not up into walls, need to let it dry out and then decide best way to repair....

post-8092-0-67300600-1441806377_thumb.jppost-8092-0-12006800-1441806501_thumb.jp

Yes I can inspect and repair from underneath. The construction is not what I expected, there is a heavy plastic layer, maybe 3/32" thick, 2 layers of 1/2" plywood and then the flakeboard floor. Just the outside edge of the flakeboard is affected and about a square foot of plywood. The flakeboard does not go under the wall?

The rot stopped at what should be the bottom of the wall framing, as if it was treated?? This would have went unnoticed if I was not doing a bit of plumbing. Hope there is not more?

Thanks Jim

As I am toying with this I thought the construction was a bit strange for a motorhome. What I am dealing with is a patch, at some point in time this must must have rotted out before and been repaired! Very frustrating, I crawled all over this before buying and paid more than I would have liked because there was no rot. Silly me. Jim

It happens; not something to beat yourself up about, I've decided. The fact is, these rigs are 20-30 years and probably most of them have some degree of water damage, whether or not anybody knows about it. As far as caveat emptor goes, you'd have to tear the thing to the ground to ever be 100% confident.