A friend is helping me with some engine matters today and I'm looking for some specifics on this thermostat situation. As you can see by the pictures, I've got a leak at the thermostat. I know there are thermostats rated for different temperatures. For a '91 Warrior, what am I looking for? Would like to replace the unit and the gasket but want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks for any help!

post-5420-0-65115900-1441207714_thumb.jp

post-5420-0-52113800-1441207728_thumb.jp

post-5420-0-92949500-1441207748_thumb.jp

post-5420-0-38898600-1441207773_thumb.jp

post-5420-0-42862100-1441207785_thumb.jp

When we took mine to the dealer there was no leakage I could find anywhere.

The mechanic replaced the thermostat and cover, said he found a leak. As I had asked to see all the old parts he showed me the cover and it had a small crack at one of the bolt studs. Got the antifreeze flushed, had the right stuff in it but I was starting from scratch, no maintence records. Wonder if someone had overtightened it before, something to take a good look at.

you want a 180 degree. easy to change. I used: http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-grey-rigid-high-torque-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-82194-detail.

tighten the 3 bolts slowly and equally. you will need a deep neck socket - i think I recall it being a 12mm.

the housing is plastic, so it could break or crack. Also the proper thermostat has a jiggle pin - it should be installed at the high side (up).

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1145470&cc=1277872&jnid=460&jpid=8

Thanks for the info! Okay, so the thermostat is located lower on the engine and the photos I've posted; that's definitely not it, but that's what's leaking. Nothing but a cavity inside that housing. Suggestions on sealing that? RDV?

We opened up the casing and there's no gasket present - the leak appears to be coming through the screw.

Just went out and looked at mine. The casting slightly different than your picts. There is a black rubber gasket on mine. More interesting is mine has what appear to be studs coming up thru the top casting and there are washers and nuts holding it together. Whats unusual is that the ends of the studs are not threaded all the way up, but are tapered to what appears to be a male Torx!! I have a lot of Torx fittings for screwdrivers, but have never seen a Torx socket before.

Wikipedia to the rescue, it's called a External Torx Driver.

* A Torx successor, Torx Plus, was introduced about 1990 when the original Torx patent was expiring. The lobes are more square to allow for higher torque and to minimize wear. The name is shortened to IP (Internal Plus) with sizes ranging from 1IP to 100IP [16] (sometimes listed as IP1 to IP100 [17]) and EP (External Plus) with sizes ranging from 1EP to 42EP as well as smaller sizes ranging from H7EP to H2EP and includes five-lobed tamper-resistant variants.[16] The specifications for these licenses are held by Textron. Standard Torx drivers can be used to drive Torx Plus screws, but not to full torque because of the loose fit. Torx Plus drivers will not fit into standard Torx screws.
* A tamper-resistant version of Torx Plus exists having five lobes rather than six, plus a solid post in the center, and is used for security as the drivers are uncommon.[18] Though Acument (formerly Textron) lists no designation,[19][20] TS [21] or IPR [22] may be seen.

There's no end for Torx trying to get me to buy an everexpanding tool set. :(

on my V6, the housing is plastic. There were 2 gaskets - one that is a donut that goes around the edge of the termostat. If you use permatex ultra gray with or without the gasket I bet it will not leak.

Your profile says 91 winnie - so I am guessing V6? I ask because your photos look somehow different.