Driving through the mountains in Wyoming at high rpms. We pulled over and noticed we had oil all over the left side of the engine compartment (left if standing in front of the truck). It appears to be coming from the pcv valve hose but we can't be certain. Looks like it sprayed! We have a 1984 toyota huntsman with a 2.4L 4 cylinder (22r). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I doubt it has anything to do with the PCV hose. It sounds like your crankshaft oil seal probably let go. This is common in the 20R and 22R engines. Its a pretty simple check, when they go bad they dump oil by the quarts. If you have an automatic transmission, it could be a transmission coolant hose. If the fluid is red in color, its transmission. If black its oil.

With oil in the engine, run it and watch the area directly below the crank pulley. If its leaking there, its the seal.

Also check the oil filter, be sure its on tight.

I'm in the process of with an oil leak from the timing chain cover. One of the bolts had worked itself loose and I was losing about 1/2 qt. every 400 or so miles. It sprayed all over the underside and passenger side of the engine. A big mess. I tightened the bolt a bit and the leak decreased, but I'm going to have to replace the gasket pretty soon. It was really hard to find, tucked in behind the A/C compressor mount. Thought it was the oil pan, at first.