Reverse Camera

davidtan

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of installing a wireless reverse camera on the back window of my Warrior. I was wondering if they built one that can also act as a rear view mirror while driving , but not sure if it runs off batteries or it can be hooked up to the vehicle power supply. Any suggestions or recommendations much appreciated.....

It's just a question of where you choose to get your power from. Tap into the reversing light circuit and you've got a reversing camera. Just as convenient would be to tap into the running light circuit and you'd have a rear view camera (on whenever you turn on your lights).

Normally they are powered by the Toyota battery, not the house battery

I have been thinking about that also. I missed a good buy at Farm & Fleet last summer when they changed product lines and were dumping some stuff. They had a rear view camera with 4" monitor for $40 on the dump it table. A gentleman picked up the last one just as I got there. Even if it would have been a cheapy, I would have known if I wanted to invest in a higher qualty unit.

I am on the market for the backup camera for my box truck also. It's badly needed. Let's see what I can come up with

I installed a YADA wireless camera system that I bought at Costco. I wanted the camera to have power when I wanted, so I hooked the camera to the middle red clearance light. Cut a hole inside the medicine cabinet and wired the camera. The monitor is installed with the suction mount on the windshield beside the GPS. Both monitors are out of the way for forward vision. Turn on the clearance lights and you have a backup camera. The monitor has a on-off button for the times you do not want the camera on while driving at night it also gets its power from a cigarette lighter. I wired everything under the dash cus I did not want the wires running up the dash. The camera picture is not not not the best. If I were to do it again I would shop for a higher quality system, maybe a "Rear Safety View product".

post-1172-0-53097300-1437011789_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-53763500-1437011810_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-22375100-1437011837_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-44805500-1437011865_thumb.jp

I had a 4" monitor for my back up camera and I upgraded it to a 7" one this year. I hated that little screen. I went with a wired camera so cannot advise you on the wireless. Running the wires from the back to the front was pretty strait forward though. Stuff it pretty cheap online these days. 7" was $24.99

I installed this system on my Itasca.

AGPtek® 7 inch TFT LCD Car Rear View Monitor With Wireless Night Vision Car Backup Camera

Instalation is easy. The System works OK but gets a little fuzzy if left on for too long.

I may try moving the transmitter to a better location. It is now mounted

behind the left tail Light housing and connected to the parking light circuit.

The camera is mounted on a storage box attached to the rear bumper.

I had a wired system with 6" monitor, I would not want anything smaller. This was a long time ago wireless systems were $800 and up! My system came with 2 camera's, I used the second on the passenger side mounted to the mirror. It also came in handy for places I could not stick my head : ) until it was mounted.

HTH Jim

I was just looking at the 4" monitors at a local store. Everyone on here is right, thankfully I read your posts before buying one. It would have been pretty small and hard to see. 7" will be now.

I was just looking at the 4" monitors at a local store. Everyone on here is right, thankfully I read your posts before buying one. It would have been pretty small and hard to see. 7" will be now.

Let me know how your camera instal goes. If you need any help post in this topic and I will get back to you I have set this topic to forward to my phone.

JP

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case someone is still looking, this sounds like a good deal:-

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=PLCM7700&utm_campaign=email_Flash_PLCM7700&utm_medium=email&utm_source=inhouse&location=01

It appears to be a 1 day only deal.

You can buy the stuff at Amazon for somewhat less. Depends if a person wants to hard-wire the camera to the monitor, or have a wireless system.

Camera is $12 (with 19' of wire), 7" monitor is $27. If you want to add wireless - the cost is another $11. Free shipping from Amazon.

I bought the camera and monitor but have not gotten around to hooking up the stuff yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Vehicle-Backup-High-definition-Viewing/dp/B005CTKYB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368373281&sr=8-2&keywords=back+up+camera

$12

http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Widescreen-Resolution-Automobile-Selecting/dp/B005I7UQ4K/ref=pd_sim_e_3

$27

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Vehicle-Backup/dp/B008Z9E4DW/ref=pd_bxgy_422_img_y

$11

I investigated rear mount cameras a long time ago and there was a video measurement used. My memory is shot so I cannot remember the terminology or how to use it to

tell bad from good, better and best. It is only a back up camera so don't need HD big screen quality, but some are really bad. Jim

I was skimming through a catalog at an RV dealer and came across an identical camera set up I purchased from Amazon for $57.00
The RV dealer catalog had it listed for $540.00 The ad in the catalog had the same picture on the monitor screen
as the one that was on the box my monitor came in.