Hey yall,

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. My nook is at a mechanics in north Hampton mass. They say the shift linkage needs to be replaced, but they don't know where to find parts. Basically the stick shift is dislocated from its joint and the joint is destroyed.

Oh benevolent Internet, save me!

If you have the L43 transmission, try marlin crawler for the nylon ball and sleeve.

JD may have the parts you need.

The ID plate on the drivers side inner fender will give you the transmission type.

It should say something like L43 (trans. type) and GO82 (rear axle I.D.)

4 speed. Not sure on the transmission type. Will find out tomorrow. Thanks!

It's an Aisin L42 or L43. Knowing which is not enough. L42 and L43 four-speeds have several variations in the shift linkage parts. Last I needed a few last year, they were all still available from Toyota. But . . you need to visually inspect your's and then match what you see in the on-line parts diagrams at Toyota. Note - if you want to look on-line, you'll have to call it a 1979 truck. 1978 parts not made digital for on-line look-ups. I have 3-4 complete extra four speed transmissions from 1977 and 1978 Chinooks if you really get stuck for a part.

Here's what the trans and engine looks like when you yank it out of a Chinook. Also some parts breakdowns of the shifter parts. Can you ID the parts you need?

post-6578-0-66417900-1436923399_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-05559700-1436923401_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-41477400-1436923402_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-77618300-1436923403_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-67842300-1436923405_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-60603600-1436923407_thumb.jp

so it is an l43. the mechanic is saying they are having trouble because they look up parts by vin # and the vehicle is so old that the vin # is in a different format. any ideas about how i can get them on the right track?

again, thank you all so much for your help.

Yes, as I said before. You cannot look it up on-line as anything older then a 1979. The 1979 parts book uses the later VINs and works fine for what you need. Anything older will need a paper format parts book. Just look up your rig as a 1979 and you'll do fine.

Marlin Crawler carries many parts for older Toyota transmissions.

I've also had good luck getting parts ID from my local Toyota dealer.

My Gala van is a 1979, but actually built in 1978.

Your chassis serial # should start with the letters "RN" followed by a bunch of numbers. The first two numbers after RN will tell the Toyota dealer what year your chassis is. (I.e.) RN28xxxxx.....

Parts are out there, you may have to search a bit.

The plastic bushing is the normal bad-wear area for the L42 and L43 trans in Chinooks. I replaced two last year - in a 1977 and a 1978 model-year Chinook. Marin did not have it at that time. Many Toyota dealers did. Only costs around $3. Some of those shifter parts vary - even during the same year of production. Those plastic bushings seem to be the same from 1972 to beyond 1980. Bushing is reference # 33548 in the parts diagram I already posted. Actual Toyota parts # is 3354830010.

Toyota part # 3354830010

post-6578-0-02153500-1436986945_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Shift Retainer 1

Hey folks,

Thanks for the help thus far, but the saga continues. I've had to change mechanics. The one I am now at just sent me this note and the attached photos in response to the information I had given him.

Peter, this is the retainer needed to repair your shifter. The pics u sent were from a top loader style transmission. Your transmission is on the side of the transmission

So can anyone out there in internet land help me track down a shift retainer that fits onto the side of an l43 transmission?

Again, a million thanks!

Peter

IMG 2068

Hey folks,

Thanks for the help thus far, but the saga continues. I've had to change mechanics. The one I am now at just sent me this note and the attached photos in response to the information I had given him.

Peter, this is the retainer needed to repair your shifter. The pics u sent were from a top loader style transmission. Your transmission is on the side of the transmission

So can anyone out there in internet land help me track down a shift retainer that fits onto the side of an l43 transmission?

Again, a million thanks!

Peter

Did you try Marlin Crawler?

Also try the site "Toyota Mini's". Someone there may be able to help.

While you are at it get the bushing for the side also they fit under the bolts that hold the linkage to the side of the trans.

Hey folks,
Again, a million thanks!
Peter
Hey folks,
Again, a million thanks!
Peter

I'm not sure what pictures of "top loader" versus "side loader" are being talked about. In fact, I've never seen a "top loader" trans in any Toyota Hilux or pickup truck. Center-mounted shifter instead of a side-mounted shifter, yes. You have the side-mounted. The steel retainer you need that locks in on top is Toyota part # 33354-30012 and costs around $9 from Toyota. I have several used ones laying around, but I'd just as soon keep them since you can get the part new. As to the other part in the photo you posted - it's a top seat that was discontinued. I think you eliminate it by using the new style spring under it. That is Toyota part # 90502-26001 and costs $2. If you want a new shift boot too, that is # 33555-35020 and costs $7.