1991 Warrior Questions

davidtan

Hi Guys,

Just picked up my Toyo Home ( 91 Warrior with 58K) . Every looks standard forward as to the engine & Suspension components, but I Had some questions.

1. Rear Brakes - Are they available at any auto supply shop or some special order

2. Re caulking - Is there a video or write up on how to remove the plastic corner trim and re-caulk the body

3. AC - the unit did not come with an AC unit. Is this a hard thing to install or just leave it off.

4. Wind Shear - I was driving in a high wind area (25 - 40) and it was a handful to keep on the road. Is there a way to get less body roll (Harder shocks ??)

any suggestions or input greatly appreciated

Hi Guys,

Just picked up my Toyo Home ( 91 Warrior with 58K) . Every looks standard forward as to the engine & Suspension components, but I Had some questions.

1. Rear Brakes - Are they available at any auto supply shop or some special order

2. Re caulking - Is there a video or write up on how to remove the plastic corner trim and re-caulk the body

3. AC - the unit did not come with an AC unit. Is this a hard thing to install or just leave it off.

4. Wind Shear - I was driving in a high wind area (25 - 40) and it was a handful to keep on the road. Is there a way to get less body roll (Harder shocks ??)

any suggestions or input greatly appreciated

Welcome aboard. Lots of questions.

Rear brakes. Read this first

Sealant. Do's and don't. Don't: use silicone. Do: Search for RV lap sealant Amazon has 4 packs at a pretty good price. You'll use self leveling mostly up top but I also used it coming down.

Some good videos on youtube. Start with this one and this other one. Watch these and if you have questions, ask.

AC will fit in the center vent hole but you'll have to check if there is a wiring chase for the AC. Remove the inside trim piece and have a look to see if there is one heading towards the fridge. It would have to be wired in but I don't know your comfort level with that. They are also a bit heavy, have help.

Yes shocks and most definitely likely, steering stabilizer. A number of posts including my recent shopping this year for them.

Welcome! You have joined a unique little community.

I have not had any problem getting parts for 93 Toyota, other than waiting a day for shipment from warehouse.

Don't use caulk on an RV, do not even walk by an RV with silicone caulk. Where you don't use lap sealant use butyl rubber tape almost bullet proof repairs. Never seen a video on its use, but never looked for one?

Home likely came ready for AC but can not tell without looking at unit. For quick check look in electric box and see if you have 20 amp breaker labeled AC, may have had AC and been removed? I live in Florida and can not live without AC, some have never had it and never will. Up to you if you want to add.

Yes suspension parts will help, but it is still a great big box on 6 little tires and the wind can have its way with it. I try not to drive on real windy or rainy days.

I think Emergency Road Service is a prudent investment when driving an unknown 20+ year old vehicle, $69 a year and up. I use Coach net.com I lost a 14 year old tire my first day, so paid for itself.

Spend some time reading the forum, lots of useful info. HTH Jim

David, opinions will differ on the shocks, but I went with KYBs on my 91 Warrior and think they're an excellent combination of value/quality. You can pretty much view all the options at this link (provided to me by Linda S.).

I put new Bilstein shocks on the front of my '88 Escaper. It did make a difference in handling on winding roads or in the wind. Next will be new rears when my wife lets me spend some more money.

checking front brakes is very straightforward - generic disk brakes.

Rear brakes require pulling the axle which is not that big of deal but different.

There are good links in this forum including lengthy discussions with people who do not think the inner seal is necessary.

And copies of the service manual.