Starting Problem

SCRIPAL

I have a starting issue with my 89 Dolphin. Last year it would not crank. My neighbor hit the started with a hammer at which time it started. I figured the starter was old and probably shot and needed to be replaced. I replaced it with a rebuilt and it worked fine on my month long trip to Montana. This spring it again would not start. We hit the starter numerous times and it started. I returned the starter but this time bought a new one, not a rebuild. I am again experiencing the same issue. I also changed out the old starter battery as it was not holding a complete charge. My mechanic is scratching his head and the only thing we can come up with it that it may be a faulty hot or cold cable off the battery to the starter. Upon turning on the ignition switch we can clearly hear the solenoid engaging. We have also thoroughly cleaned all battery connectors on both the hot and cold side of the battery. Anyone had a similar experience? Are we missing something peculiar to this model or something, relay switch, fuse ????? Any suggestions GREATLY APPRECIATED!

My mechanic is scratching his head and the only thing we can come up with it that it may be a faulty hot or cold cable off the battery to the starter.

Instead of scratching his head - your mechanic ought to conduct a few simple and logical tests.

#1 If the battery is suspect - just turn the headlights on and try to start it. When it "clicks" but does not start - the headlights will go dim if the battery is the problem. If the starter is just not drawing any power - the headlights stay bright.

#2 If connections/cables to the starter are suspect - all that is needed to test is a carbon-pile load tester. Any mechanic worth a damn ought to have one. Hook one lead to the starter-housing "chassis ground" and the other to the big positive lead/post on the solenoid. Crank up the carbon-pile to 300 amps and look at the volt reading. If voltage stays at 9.5 volts or more - the cables and connections are fine. The so-called "12 volt" starter is made to operate correctly @ 9 volts.

I can see why some small shop owners may not of owned a load-tester back when you had go buy from AC Delco for $250. But now they are only $50 from Harbor Freight and there is no excuse for someone working as a diagnostic mechanic not to have one.

post-6578-0-73222600-1435319403_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-10845600-1435319405_thumb.jp

#*!*###!!!!

In order to not have the starter problem I paid to replace the starter, along with the valve adj,and other work on 11/02/2012 @ 87,909 miles.

Just went for a ride today and at the gas station almost home when you try to crank it the lites dim but no motor turnover and small voltage drop at battery.

Mine is low to the ground and it was hard to get it going by banging on the starter while Mary turned the switch.:(

Current mileage is 93,600 miles, so for me NO MORE rebuilt ( remanufactured) parts. If I can get it out myself I will fix it myself.

Years ago when money was tight, I would have parts rebuilt with little problem at the local rebuild place. The rebuild people were proud of their work and would stand behind it. Then the chains started and sold rebuilt parts for cheap and they put the rebuild shops out of business. I would buy rebuilt parts from the chains and they would not last. I would buy them over and over. Finally decided that new parts were in the long run cheaper.

Jim SW FL

Just went for a ride today and at the gas station almost home when you try to crank it the lites dim but no motor turnover and small voltage drop at battery.

If the lights get notably dim when cranking - the starter is trying to draw power from the battery and not getting it. If so, it's not a starter problem. That does not coincide with a "small voltage drop" at the battery. Where are you measuring battery voltage - at the terminal posts themselves or at the connectors that go over the posts? You need to test voltage AT the post on the starter when cranking to be sure. If 9 volts or higher and the starter does not spin - then it is a starter problem. If below 9 volts - you've got a "power to the starter" problem.

Sorry I didn't explain it properly.
When I said the lights dim I meant small lites on the dashboard dim somewhat.
I next put a meter on the battery and had Mary try to start it and the voltage on the connectors only went down .2 Volt, which I assumed was the draw from the starter relay and the starter solenoid, if I was getting any current to the starter the voltage drop would be much more.
I wasn't going to try turning on the headlites as I had a meter to troubleshoot with and didn't want to draw the battery any more that I had to. Just for grins I also put my battery starter/lamp/air compressor on the connectors, which made no difference.
I just looked at it today and I don't think it was changed, but hard to tell for sure.

Am now going to search the posts on how to replace starter. Looks like it'll have to be raised about a foot or more just to get at it, probably better with a lift, which I no longer have access to. :(

Yes I had similar issue of not starting on my 86 Shasta. It was intermittent, so i changed starter. Same problem. My mechanics Electrical guy took apart engine fuse box and did something which solved starting issue. Wish i could tell you what exactly it was. Good luck