Hello! I have an 85 Dolphin with a free floating 1 ton axle. I recently popped an air bag, and while doing more reading decided to get some thoughts on if my leaf springs should be replaced too.

I don't know much about the design of the rear suspension on these things, but with my airbags gone, I feel like I'm riding frame-on-axle with no suspension at all. Shouldn't the leaf springs do something in this case (no airbags)?

If I roll over the smallest of bumps, e.g. the ~1" lip on a driveway, the whole rv feels like it's rattling apart and I'm jarred to the spine.

post-8223-0-71587400-1435004081_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-82255100-1435004094_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-90947700-1435004107_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-90027600-1435004120_thumb.jp

post-8223-0-34025100-1435004130_thumb.jp

That looks like a clean happy set of leaf springs. If the bushings are bad though it will give you a more jarring ride. Get your air bag fixed too. You can buy just one bag. Derek knows where to get them

Linda S

I am replacing my leaf springs right now - 93 wiinnie warrior. Google 90-205 leaf springs - there are multiple places selling them. they all seem to come out of Dayton Parts in Harrisburg PA. I had a spring shop add an extra leaf as I believe that these campers are running around at max weight even when empty.

Your bushings are almost certainly shot. They are "relatively" easy to change as they are 2 part bushings - no pressing required.

HB-1004 for the eyes of the leaf springs (4 pieces per side) , HB 1102 for the top of the shackle (2 per side).

I am replacing my leaf springs right now - 93 wiinnie warrior. Google 90-205 leaf springs - there are multiple places selling them. they all seem to come out of Dayton Parts in Harrisburg PA. I had a spring shop add an extra leaf as I believe that these campers are running around at max weight even when empty.

That seems to be the best way to do it. No OEM style spring packs I've seen are intended for the full-time weight load of a 20 -21 foot RV body. I added two leaves to each side on mine. The trick is to find leaves with the right width and arch. Toyota uses an odd-ball width that is not used by any other makes except maybe Mazda. As I recall, there are companies that sell separate correct-arched leafs for Tundras that fit correctly.