Hi All -- I've been a forum lurker for some time, but have actually worked on a number of Sunraders, including several (!) 4x4's. Been wanting the beginnings of my own, have pages of mods including conversion to 4x4 & diesel.

Well, last week I found what I've been looking for, or close enough. It's an 85 Toy 22RE, automatic, 21 foot rear dinette. A back yard find, has 94K miles, rust and dent free. Everything original, kind of wrong-date interior in pristine condition. I mean that the interior is more recent than '85 would suggest. It has the 'cane pattern' embossed wood on ceiling and cabinet doors, plus super nice flush plastic pulls. Lots of travels too: Washington to Maine twice, Alaska, and 1-2 trips to AZ/UT/CA. Gentle, elderly owners for the past 15 years (bought at 31K mi in 92). So glad the back axle never let them down, pun intended.

I'm a shipwright, mechanic extraordinaire and have actually been helping numerous folks with sunnies for the past 5-7 years. They're pretty familiar. I can do anything, any mod or repair a SR requires.

The first issue that must be addressed is the back axle. It's the 5 bolt pickup axle, still spinning but untrustworthy. Got to my place in the mountains of WA and will not move until the full floater is underneath. First trip is to Baja in the fall.

So, does anyone have (or know of someone who has) a "1 ton, full floating" rear axle, plus 4 wheels? Preferably in WA or as close as possible.

Thanks

Roy, da Vagabond

Well, problem solved, thanks for the replies!! I found a complete Phoenix camper- the guy is even delivering it- that has the rear axle and wheels. Looks as though I am going from trying to find parts to having parts to sell all in one swell foop. -- Roy

I am sorry I didn't respond. There are some decent search sites for an axle but none can guarantee that there is really one there. I do have a friend who needs a fridge if the one in the Phoenix works. Let me know.

Linda S

Oh and I don't think I've ever seen an 86 and newer Phoenix so the axle must be an upgrade. Looking at the changes they had to make to install that one will help installing it in your Sunrader