Just bought a 89 Sunrader, looking for advice

If you have a 4 cylinder auto, I wouldn't try pulling very much and you definitely need a tranny cooler and temp gauge. The v-6 auto has a lockup torque converter which is less prone to overheating, but, you still need to keep an eye on the temp. If you have a manual, you are OK.

What kind of bike do you want to drag?

I have an 86 sunrader with 22re and auto. I am thinking about getting rid of my fj1100 which is a bit of a pig and buying a lighter dual purpose, probably a drz400 and a very light trailer. Between the 2 I am looking at about 400 lbs. I think I can handle this. If I have any really nasty climbs, I can always have the OL drive and ride the bike. My fat behind weighs more than a light trailer, so I figure overall, the toy will actually work easier pulling an empty trailer than me!

So, whatever you do, just remember that an overheating tranny is the kryptonite of toymotorhomes. This doesn't mean you can't tow, it just means you need to monitor things closely.

Thanks for the responses, its the 3.0V6 that just had valve burn out and had the head replaced (86k miles). I kinda pulled the trigger quick ($5500)as they seem to sell really fast (im in sacramento) so I didnt check out everything as much as I would have etc. It does have a type one hitch insalled and I was going to use a hitch carrier to carry my KTM 450 (dirt bike, ~250 lbs) but found that the toungue rating is only 100lbs. Im just thinking a small trailer, throw the bike on and go up to the sierra's, drive slowly of course. It sounds like it will work, hopefully :)

Be sure to check out some of the really light weight motorcycle trailers on the market, basically

two wheels and a U shaped beam, they are less than half the weight of a square type trailer.

I need to get my 1990 Toyota hitched up, I have a nice 1981 Honda XL185 I would like to take

with me, I already got the canoe on the roof, so no room there...:-)

Dennis...

Is it possible to put a class 3 hitch on the 21' sunrader safely? I just need to support a 300lb toungue weight of the dirt bike. I am a little stressed and worried I maybe acted to fast and bought the motorhome without researching this first.

I would put 300# in the back of your rig and drive it, it sure seems like an awful lot of tongue weight for a motorcycle trailer.

Its a hitch hauler (ultimatemxhauler.com) that uses a bottle jack to lift the bike up 18" and holds it on a platform. I had "assumed" that I could do this on this rig as it has the firestone airbags but I am not sure what material was used for the extension from the original frame.

Check out ebay item 300167906687. The trailer cannot get much lighter than this,

also the website www.bikelug.net

These trailers weight 170 to 200 pounds. I have seen a few other manufactures of this type.

I think it was a good buy, it did have some fiberglass repaired and a recent engine overhaul. It has one of those boxes on the back for more storage too which is cool. So far everything works, drives good too with the airbags on the back. I cant wait to take it out for a weekend riding trip.

You got a great buy! I bought an 83 Sunrader 21 ft several years ago with 22R, 4 spd man, and a class 1 hitch bolted to the bumper. The original owner towed a trailer loaded with a generator, fuel container and storage boxes for 20 years with no problems. The engine/trans have never been worked on and still has top compression and uses no oil with 93K mi.

The rear bumper was bent when the previous owner backed into a steel pole a few weeks before I bought it, so I built a new stronger bumper with 4x4 steel stock and beefed up the frame and added crossmembers for a class 3 receiver. I haven't towed anything yet but I use it for a rack in which I added a storage box to carry a small generator and/or misc items with no handling or power problems.

I recently saw a Toyota Dolphin pulling a 16 foot box trailer that supposedly had go-carts and tools in it. Don't know what he had for a drivetrain.

Allen

post-481-1194994925_thumb.jpg

post-481-1194994947_thumb.jpg

The leverage That Thing applies to the receiver is considerable. I wouldn't consider it. Due to the extreme overhang behind the rear axle of the MH Frame as-built, I believe the added leverage from the carrier you propose would be the-straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back.

If you are considering "beefing up the frame", remember that no matter how much steel you use, it will still be just hanging on the end of a Toyota Pick Up truck frame.

As always, YMMV

Lew

what he^^^^ said.

300 lbs tongue weight is different from 300 hanging off the bumper attempting to twist it off. Torsional force, is what smart engineer types call it. I won't even trust my bumper to hang bicycles off. I actually have 3 bikes on a bike rack mounted there, but the majority of the weight is carried by rope I have going to the roof rack. So far the roof rack has held up fine.

Don't even entertain the idea of hanging a MC off the bumper. Get a light trailer.

No, my Sunrader frame extention (box rail welded insde of frame extention) and Toyota truck frame are now double railed almost to the cab. I custom built the bumper out of thick gauge steel stock and used welds on the frame and the bumper and additional steel welded over those welds. That "Thing" had considerable thought going into it before anything was ever attached. I never carry more than 200 lbs on the rack (or in lieu of a good weight measurement, I stop loading when the the front wheels begin to lift off the ground). So far I have over 5000 miles on that Thing with no problems what-so-ever in handling or performance. The previous owner had hard tie points installed near the edge of the roof when he had the interior gutted and rebuilt. I attach steel cables to the outside corners of the rack and to the tie points, that prevents too much up and down flex. Of course, if you ever see a Sunrader someday going down the road with the entire back wall missing that'll be me.

Bottom Line: Don't carry bicycles or much anything else on the stock bumper, and don't try to pull house trailers, but if we all obeyed the manufacturer warnings we would never move our Toy homes because just sitting there they are all overweight, underpowered, etc.

Allen

PS...I never leave home without my Good Sam's towing card in my wallet.

I gave up on the idea of the motorcycle hauler, I'll most likely do a trailer. The hitch is welded to the frame and not the bumper so it should be able to tug 300lbs. My other thought is to just tear down the bike and put it inside while traveling, build it up, ride, then tear it down. Not that much extra work and maybe safer. I'm digging this motorhome, easy to drive and did pretty good going up the hill to placerville (sierra nevada area). :ThumbUp:

• 1 month later...

I found a super light trailer, I just took in the motorhome as I was having some leaks from the pan and the hoses to the tranny cooler are getting old, $300 and I'be ready to take it out. I just ripped out the carpet to put in Pergo and resealed all of the windows with fresh caulking. I found a soft spot and will be reinforcing it before redoing the floor. I just wish I could keep it in my driveway, hoa's suck..

Just a thought about hauling/carrying a Bike.. I am having thoughts about my Honda Elite Scooter..

Any Toyota M/H has quite a bit of rear overhang that PU trucks do not.. All that distance puts a bit of leverage on the coach..

So, it should be simple to hang the bike on the front.. I said simple, not easy!! But it could be done, and dont forget to re-mount the headlights and turn signals so the Bike dont obstruct them..

Jack Smith

COLD SoCal