Magnetek 6345 Up Grade On A Budget.

WME

I hope I can get the pics right.

A family we camp with has 5th wheel camper and this winter he boiled a set of batteries dry. He wanted to know what happened.

I asked what converter his trailer has, Magnetek 6345. So I explained what happened and the fix was about $200 for the upgrade or new converter.

"Ain't happen, I have to buy new batteries now, what choices do I have?

Plan B install a deck mount converter in the Magnetek converter. From E-bay a 55 amp 3 stage PowerMax converter for $110.

Here we go

post-18-0-76658600-1430698588_thumb.jpg

The villain of the story.

post-18-0-89112900-1430699238_thumb.jpg

12v fuse board. Most of the big $$ conversion provide a new 12v board with all the circuits filtered

because of budget constraints we will install a jumper to make all the fuses filtered.

post-18-0-34944700-1430699684_thumb.jpg

Remove something like this, the pwr supply for the converter. Red +, white -, blue unfiltered 12v.

post-18-0-43024500-1430700047_thumb.jpg

Remove the old guts

More soon

post-18-0-51775800-1430701562_thumb.jpg

I cut a slot in the back of the chassis so that the rear side tabs will slid in. OR cut the tabs off or bend them over. Bolt the new converter in the old chassis. Red +, white - , bare wire ground...cut off 3 prong AC connector.

post-18-0-96849400-1430703610_thumb.jpg

Install the lid. Route the wires through the holes. Cut drill a bunch of vent holes in the side of the chassis for the cooling fan in the new converter. PS the lid is on upside down OOPS.

post-18-0-73823600-1430702387_thumb.jpg

Connect +,- to rear of 12v fuse board. The blue wire is the jumper to bring the 12v filtered power to all the fuses. Blue wire jumper good idea, blue wire in back of board BAD idea. To many sparky things to make connect with. See final install.

post-18-0-41170000-1430702759_thumb.jpg

Installed and hooked up, blue wire correctly hooked up.

post-18-0-16361100-1430702869_thumb.jpg

All is good. Batteries very happy.

Cost 3 hr and $110

That's all

• 1 year later...

I'm in the middle of almost exactly this same scenario right now, so I was excited to find the write-up and the photos. But... I could still use a little more detail, if possible. Could someone fill in the blanks below explaining the exact connections to the PowerMax, please? Much appreciated. :)

My Magnatek has three large gauge wires coming down to the converter/charger on the right-hand side: red, blue, and white. On the left-hand side, there are two smaller gauge wires: black and white.

Large red wire connects to: ________

Large blue wire connects to: ________

Large white wire connects to: ________

Small black wire connects to: ________

Small white wire connects to: ________

Well, so I did a bit of research. Here's what I found (feel free to correct/expand)...

Large red wire connects to: + lug on converter

Large blue wire connects to: + lug on converter

Large white wire connects to: - lug on converter

Small black wire connects to: + wire on converter AC plug

Small white wire connects to: - wire on converter AC plug

So, the large blue and red wires both carry 12V+. In the original system, one was "filtered" voltage, one was not. In the PowerMax, I think, all voltage supplied through the positive lug is filtered, so the red and blue wires can be jumpered together—that way, all circuits get filtered voltage. (Does this sound correct?)

I barely remember, BBBut. I think

RED +

White -

Blue is unfiltered + not used

Black and White are the AC input 

Sounds good, see pics 3,4 in the second post

23 hours ago, WME said:

Sounds good, see pics 3,4 in the second post

Cool, think I've got it all squared away, and it seems to be working great. Appreciate the help.

Btw,I ended up ditching the lower case completely because everything was riveted in there, and I don't have time for that! :)