I just purchased a 1986 Toyota Winnebago. My first RV. It has a leak in the head gasket and I'm looking to replace it. The RV is at my brother in laws house 230 miles from my house. I intend to take a long weekend and go change it out.

I ordered a new gasket from a toyota dealer near my house but they seemed unsure of what they were ordering. Does anyone have a part number for it. It's from the 2.4L / 4cyl engine. Also, I'd like to pick up the Chiltons/Haynes repair manual but I don't know what one to get. There isnt one specifically for this vehicle.

Any help would be great!

You may want to purchase a 1986 Toyota Factory Repair Manual in stead of a Chiltons/Haynes manual.

The Chiltons/Haynes manuals tend to cover multiple year, usually about 3 to 5 at a time, so some of the

exact details get lost. The Toytota factory manual are for a single year. I just checked Ebay for a 1986

Toyota Factory manual and did not find a 1986, but did find a 1985. Check to see if your truck part of your

RV is an 1986 or is it a 1985? Also, the 1985 Toyota Factory Manual is probably going to still be better

then a 1983-1987 Chiltons/Hayes manual.

Dennis...

IFIN your careful you can do the headgasket with out removing the timingcover and all the stuff there. But maybe its a good time to do the timing chain and all that stuff there.

Actually, you are going to need a "top end gasket set", not just a headgasket. I recommend new headbolts and don't forget to carefully clean each tapped headbolt hole in the block. This is necessary to have a smooth-turning reliably torquing head bolt. Install these headbolts dry (no lubrication). When removing the head, don't forget to remove the infamous "bolt hidden in oil" which is at the front of the head just behind the cam sprocket and engages the front cover.

If it turns out the head is warped, you are getting practice now to take it apart again. In similar circumstances, I replaced the head with a brand new one from LC Engineering.

Lew