Curious About Dual Usb/12V Installation

Motion_man1

The funky 12V connection housed in a standard size electrical plate near the kitchen sink in my 1986 Mirage stopped working in the past few days after using it extensively to run a fan in the RV over the winter to deal with some roof leakage on the overcab bunk plywood.

I have not yet completed a comprehensive check of fuses and other common issues that might cause it to die. But its temporary death did make me curious about the cost and availability of alternatives to a single 12v outlet that I might fit into this space (3"Wx4 3/4"L x ?" Depth).

I found numerous and affordable options and one of the best seemed to be a dual 12V socket, possibly with two USB ports in one of those sockets. Here's one for $20 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Socket-Supply-Boat-Motor-home/dp/B00L9O8NXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426002867&sr=8-1&keywords=Panel+Dual+USB+Charger+Socket+with+12v+Power+Supply+Socket+for+Boat+%2F+Rv+%2F+Car+%2F+Motor-home+-+External+Mount

Before I moved forward with a project to install one of these newer power options, I was curious to hear the experiences of others in this forum with this type of installation, if there are any to share.

I am hesitant to use one of two ports for USB charging because external batteries are becoming so affordable to keep USB-powered devices charged, though it is one more thing to carry and keep charged. For example, here's a 15,000 mAh external battery with 4 USB ports for under $30:

http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-15000mAh-Capacity-Smartphone-Bluetooth/dp/B00O1R28OY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426003570&sr=8-2&keywords=12000+mah+external+battery

What are you using to power a variety devices when you're boondocking? External batteries? 12v outlet? Different types of current converters? Unplugging your devices and relaxing?

Lucas

1986 Mirage

I have a fused 3 way 12 volt splitter mounted on the wall above the refrigerator, plugged into the existing single 12 volt outlet. We only use it to charge camera batteries which have a pretty low power draw. We do not watch TV or play on the computer while on vacation. If we are not going somewhere, we are usually outdoors unless weather prevents it, in that case we go indoors and read. I think we got the splitter at WalMart.

I try to use all the 12 volt DC appliances I can instead of AC 120 volt power via an inverter. But 12 volt appliances are often considered "specialty" and priced higher then their 120 VAC versions. I've found that if you do use 12 volt power-ports with the old "cigarette lighter" configuration - finding good ones that can run up to 20 amps are hard to find. Many are cheap crap not suited for even 5 amps. Many of the OEM ports in cars and trucks are rated 20 amps which is about all such a plug is ever going to handle. Here are a few of the better ones - mostly found for marine use.

post-6578-0-85966700-1426015069_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-20370800-1426015071_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-23350700-1426015072_thumb.jp

Take the old one apart. I have fixed a couple RV ones that had nothing more than poor solder joints.

I would just stick to regular, high quality, 12 volt sockets.

The reason for that is many modern USB powered devices vary in the optimal power required for rapid charging. No point in locking yourself into a set power limit with a built in USB port. It is better to keep your options open for using the cord and 12 volt adapter that are specifically made to go with your devices. We don't know what the future will bring, they might even come out with new types of connectors. Therefore just stick to the good quality 12 volt sockets as that will give you maximum options now and in the future.

Great tips and resources--thank you all. It's working again after I changed a fuse in the RV converter box. I'm thankful for such an easy fix this time around.

I like the idea of mounting a 12v splitter on the wall near the existing 12v connection and now I know to look for a higher quality splitter that puts out 15-20 amps.

If I can install a simple set-up to run both a small 12v-powered cooler and a fan for summer camping I will be one happy man boondocking in a toyhome.

I bought this, but haven't installed it yet. I had some of the same concerns as you and to do with what Karin brought up. But my little 160W inverter plugs into a cigarette lighter attachment, and I figure if nothing else, this one will be rated for higher amperage. So it's probably worth it just for that. But it also never hurts to have a couple more USB ports to plug into.

A "splitter" is not what you want. You are much better off buying a good quality unit with multiple ports that is hard-wired. A splitter is kind of useless for getting good power to dual or three ports. Problem is - it's totally dependent on just one male plug for all incoming power which cannot carry more then 15-20 amps.

I just use the 120 VAC chargers that come with the device and a small plug in inveter (35 W ). If you want USB wait for the USB 3, as I understand it it's compatible with both USB 1 and 2.

If you want USB wait for the USB 3, as I understand it it's compatible with both USB 1 and 2.

Why? USB-3.0 has nothing to do with 5 volt battery charging. When it comes to a power-port in an RV, there is no difference between USB-1, 2, or 3. The difference is when using with a computer and the speed data can travel. USB-3.0 has twice the connections to the motherboard and is ten times as fast as USB-2.0. Basically, USB-3 is two of USB-2s, put together into one plug for faster data transfer. I just tried to install a USB-3.0 socket in my computer and can't. Not enough connectors on the motherboard.

I must agree with jde. USB 1 2 and 3 provide the exact same amount of power. In fact the statement is even worse because technically any usb port connected to the 12 volt has no data bus so if you were waiting for one to be in usb 3 you will be waiting until the stars burn out.