Here I am with more problems. To try to avoid braking until I can get it improved I was shifting into neutral to dimiinish the pull of the engine as the vehicle slowed down. I accidentallly shifted too far into reverse coming to a stoplight at about 5mph for about one second. Would I have done damage and if so what will I notice. I will not do it again but now I live in fear that I have more problems to deal with. Braking this bus really does irritate my umbillical hernia and Monday I will ask the mechanic to see if he understands that bit about the rear valve and shortening that link. Advise please. Doug

I cut mine off about 2" from the valve and have it wired all the way up, dont't wire it around the hose.

Hello Doug,

Odds are if the transmission is currently working okay (both forward and backwards) you probably

escaped without damage. Take the rig out for a short drive to warm her up and be sure to use

the reverse a little, then check the transmission fuild level and be sure it looks clean and give it

a smell, if you detect any burnt smell, you have damage.

Also, if the transmission has not been serviced in the last two or so years, now would be a good

time to drain the transmission pan. On the bottom of the transmission pan is a drain plug just like

on the oil pan. You will be able to drain 2 to 3 quarts (you have a total of about 10 to 12) out.

After you are done draining, put the plug back in and then determine how much fuild was drained

out and add that much back in. Start up the engine and work her through each gear (1,2,3,D,R)

for a few minutes and then check the fuild level and add any needed. Then take her for a 5 or so

minute drive and then check the level.

A local shop will do the above, but will charge anywhere from $50 to $75, which should cost the same

as an oil change ($20). Also, if you want the entire transmission flushed (10 to 12 quarts) the cost

from a Toyota dealer is in the $150 to $175 range. I think Toyota recommends this at the 100,000

mark.

Dennis...