Chinook Alternative Truck Chassis Questions

zero

I'm beginning to think I may not be able to drive a stick-shift or a truck with manual steering anymore. My right arm has become pretty-much useless over the past year. In fact, I just gave my Dodge diesel to my son in Colorado due the long reach needed to shift it with my right arm. I'm probably getting a replacement shoulder-joint this spring but can't do it until I'm done moving all my stuff out of NY in April. I also don't know how much better my arm will be after they replace my shoulder-joint.

This leaves me with the issue of my 1978 Chinook that I REALLY want to keep. I already tried to come up with a way to add power-steering and it seems it's near impossible for that generation Toyota truck.

So what I'm thinking at the moment is a truck-chassis swap. I'm finding out that getting good specs on certain measurements is not so easy.

The Chinook came on a Toyota truck with a 110" wheelbase. But later Toyota trucks with similar wheelbase specs are too different (at least it seems).

1978 Toyota truck chassis with 110" wheelbase has a distance of 48.7" from the back of the cab to the center of the rear wheels.

1985-1992 Toyota truck chassis with 112.2" wheelbase has a distance of only 43.9" from the back of the cab to the center of the rear wheels.

Ford Ranger with a 125" wheelbase only has 37.7" from the back of the cab to the center of the rear wheels.

So far I haven't been able to find specs on other trucks for the cab-to-rear-wheel distance. So I may have to start finding trucks in the real world and take out my tape-measure.

I'd like to find a truck with a similar rear distance like the Chinook was designed for. I'd like to avoid relocating the rear axle and suspension to match.

So, I'd like a truck with the correct rear distance, power steering, maybe an auto-trans with lock-up, and the best fuel-mileage potential. It appears the Chevy S10 with a 2.2 engine, Isuzu 2.2, or the Ford Ranger with the 2.3 engine give the best hopes for MPGs but I know the Ranger has the wrong measurements in back.

If anybody here has measurement specs for the back of any trucks, please post them.