About 10,000 miles after I replaced my oil pump, it started leaking a bit. Either that or my front main started leaking...but we'll see. I'm just assuming oil pump for now.

So I ordered a new o-ring for it. One of the top bolts needs thread sealant applied to it. I want to do this before I hit the road in March. That means that at best I might have 40-degree temps, but more likely 20s or 30s. Will the sealant set up in those kind of temperatures?

So I ordered a new o-ring for it. One of the top bolts needs thread sealant applied to it. I want to do this before I hit the road in March. That means that at best I might have 40-degree temps, but more likely 20s or 30s. Will the sealant set up in those kind of temperatures?

Non-hardening thread sealant is what is usually used on bolt-threads. There is no temperature range in the real world where it cannot be used. Something like Permatex "Thread Sealant with PTFE" remains pliable down to 50 below 0 F.

RVS sealants are different and not what you want on bolt threads anyway. As the "RTV" name implies, it stands fo "room temperature vulcanizing." Not supposed to used below 35 degrees F unless you warm things up. We had to use RTV often, outdoors on forestry equipment sometimes at 0 F temps. During those conditions, you heat the metal and the tube of RTV before applying and then try to keep heat on the joint for awhile.

Some people reading this thread may not realize that thread sealant is not the same as thread locker. Just wanted to point that out.

Why do you need it in the first place? There is no need for sealant on the pump housing and it may even make it worse. If the bolt is loose there is some thing wrong with the threads. It is a common problem with those engines it is a lot easier to remove the pump to replace the front seal so a new "O" is in order any way.