Neat Small Motorhome (Warning !!! To Purists) Not A Toyota

zero

I just came across a 1962 small motorhome that I might buy. Rough shape and has been sitting for years. All aluminum coach body and a $1200 asking price. I have never seen one of these in my life until yesterday. Similar in size and weight to a 21 foot Toyota RV. Designed by an aircraft engineer who likes aluminum. I'm trying to decide if I have enough energy left in me to rehab this thing. It was truly ahead of its time.

1962 Ultra-Van. Based on a Chevy Corvair drivetrain. Four wheel independent suspension. Weighs 3200 lbs. empty. Has a 5000 GVWR. Uses little 7.35 X 14" tires like a Toyota.

The first version had a 1.8 liter air-cooled Corvair engine and the designer said it lacked power to pull his boat around. So production models came with the 2.7 liter Corvair engines attached to a two-speed automatic transmission. So, 165 cubic inch engine (2.7 liter), two-speed Powerglide trans, and a 3.55 to 1 rear-axle ratio. Three-way refrigerator, propane furnace, sort of a "full bath", and a 45 gallon gas tank. Also a trailer-hitch. When sold new up to 18 MPG was claimed. From actual owner reports - seems 14-15 MPG at 55-60 MPH is more the usual.

Later variations came out with V8 engines which I'd want no part of.

This thing has an odd sewer system. Has the ability to grind up all its sewage and send it though a garden hose. I bet many places would not be too happy seeing someone do what is depicted in the image with the hose.

I'm going to check it more closely tomorrow. Engine is out of it but I just happen to have two Corvair engines laying around. I'm wondering if it would be possible to convert to manual trans and get rid of the two-speed Powerglide. I have two complete Corvair manual trans setups. Queston is - if it's possible to run shift linkage from that rear all the way to the front.

I love my Toyota - but this USA built RV is amazing. And hey - with modern materials - I suppose that Corvair engine can be made not to leak oil too.

post-6578-0-98946400-1422713132_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-51157000-1422713134_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-76627300-1422713135_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-78868000-1422713136_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-49574000-1422713138_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-31498800-1422713140_thumb.jp

The 'standard' custom paint job for them. :)

Does that smile turn to a frown when it breaks down??

I used to have many Corvairs and used to constantly hear how bad they were. As I'm sure most of us remember - whiny-boy Ralph Nader even wrote a book partly about them.

I loved mine. Chronic oil leakers and like air-cooled VWs - lousy to NO heat in the winter unless you had the optional gasoline cabin-heater.

But otherwise - amazing vehicles other then the occasional burnt valve (also like the VWs).

One thing I now find kind of funny. We are still in the middle of moving our stuff from central New York to northern Michigan. My wife and I hate to throw out anything with potential future use. Seems every time I DO get rid of something I really think I'll never use - I'm sorry later.

So last spring - an old lady gave me her treasured 1960 or 1961 Corvair. Her husband bought it for her as a present in 1968 and then died of a heart attack. So she says - as a "shrine to his memory" she never drove it again. Just sat in her field for 46 years. I towed it home and had it running in a few hours. Kind of amazing. But then when we decided to get the heck out of NY forever - I figured I'd never, EVER have any use for that Corvair. I was going to scrap it this spring. Now this Ultravan pops up.

That old lady died two days after I got it running. Weird.

post-6578-0-52421700-1422715597_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-57236100-1422715599_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-85428600-1422715600_thumb.jp

That is neat - other then the price tag and custom mods to the body. If I had one, I'd prefer the body to be original. Part of it's it's "mytique", at least to me.

I guess that proves that manual linkage for the transmission will fit without the long rod dragging on ground. Even looks to be the original Corvair four-speed shifter.

I got looking at the nice molded windshield. I wonder what someone would do if they ever had to replace one? I had enough trouble finding one for my 1978 Toyota and that was factory made (still have not really found a good one). I suspect getting a custom-made curved windshield with safety-glass would be EXTREMELY expensive .

$350 for a custom made curved window made from two-ply safety glass? That's sounds like a bargain if true. I checked around awhile back about getting a curved windshield made for a boat that was just single-ply Lexan (or some sort of Plexi-glass). The price estimate on just that was over $200. I finally made my own and found out how difficult it is to put curves in thick Plexi-glass.

I'd still like to find a source for a new windshield for a 1978 Toyota truck. I've stripped three so far - and even though the glass was not cracked - the internal plastic "safety" layer is faded in all. I'd like to get a clear windshield somewhere (with no cracks).

Hello JD, I would buy this in a NY minute & NEVER look back,,,,,,,,, years ago a when I had my 4104 & was playing Bluegrass Festivals more than I am now there was a fan who had one of these GREAT trucks....

He was at a LOT of festivals around Pa, Md., Va. etc........An older guy who wore his armbands on both arms from all the festivals that he attended.... I wanted this van SO BAD that offered him a lot more than it was worth.. He would NOT sell it for any price.......... I tried to trade my TRAVCO for it even up......He just laughed & shook his head. Bill Harrell & the Virginians featured him & his van on one of his album covers...

I would still buy this truck if it would show up near me.. Even at my age .....I love these vans..

I would guess that they bring a premium price now.....but they are perfect for guys who listen to the beat of a different drummer.......let us know if you buy it...........very cool van.............donnie

Thanks for all the info. I'm driving over to look at this week if we get a nice snowless day.

JDE,

Boy, that Ultra is one bizarre and ugly looking Mutha! In this case, I like bizarre. The whopper-chopper toilet system, is like nothing I've ever seen. Just don't go and fertilize someone's garden with it, just because you are able to. As far as the air cooled engine goes, that is nothing to be concerned about. It seems as if the Corvair Spider engine delivered somewhere near 100HP (I

Thanks for all the info. I'm driving over to look at this week if we get a nice snowless day.

forgot the specifics). If you rebuild any air cooled engine correctly (VW's also), they will run just fine. Ralph Nader was a bonehead out to cause much unnecessary trouble. I'd say go for it and purchase that ugly Mutha!

~Riverman77

$350 for a custom made curved window made from two-ply safety glass? That's sounds like a bargain if true. I checked around awhile back about getting a curved windshield made for a boat that was just single-ply Lexan (or some sort of Plexi-glass). The price estimate on just that was over $200. I finally made my own and found out how difficult it is to put curves in thick Plexi-glass.

I'd still like to find a source for a new windshield for a 1978 Toyota truck. I've stripped three so far - and even though the glass was not cracked - the internal plastic "safety" layer is faded in all. I'd like to get a clear windshield somewhere (with no cracks).

JDE,

There is a real cool site that you may wish to visit. Google up: Ultra Van Tin Can Tourists. Lots of info, history, clubs & more......

~Riverman77