The stems arrived today and of course it is raining all day, so I got wet. They look like the originals, I took 3 tires and wheels to the local tire place and was told $20 mount and balance and $5 to install my stems! $75, seems a touch high. I took them to WalMart and was told $12.50 a tire including balancing and stems. I am OK with that.

But they do not have the right adaptor to balance them, so they had one mounted and gave me everything back no charge. They refered me to the Spanish place where I should have went first.

I go to a Spanish place for flat repair, if the boss lady is not there no one speaks English, so I was avoiding it. They were happy to mount 2 tires, install stems and balance all 3 for $30, they are happy I am happy. They were good about working with me on the stem placement. Hopefully tomorrow I can get 2 more done in between the rain drops.

JIm SW FL

I found and purchased an air chuck at NAPA part # CH-330-Lo. Reserved online and picked up in store for $8. This is only the chuck it will replace most chucks on inflators.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Tire-Air-Chucks-Fleet-Truck-Trailer-Angled-Dual-Foot/_/R-TWRCH330LO_0131783516

As I was taking pictures it dawned on me why people are buying extensions! Unless you carry your own compressor most places only have basic air chucks. Which are not going to work on any dually stems!

I am sure a work around can be done with this chuck by adding a schrader valve. Will work on that and post as time permits.

JIm SW FL

post-8092-0-39648900-1423857715_thumb.jp

post-8092-0-53454200-1423857737_thumb.jp

Yeah, that's the kind of chuck I use, too, although mine has a slide-out style pressure gauge built into it. I bought it the first week I had the motorhome 'cause nothing else worked well. I always keep mine in the glovebox, so it's ready to go (and cause I don't need it for my other vehicles).

• 1 year later...

still not sure on this thread/what to order, found the 546d's at oreileys, are they ~to bent/not vertical enough...?

here is the  Part # 17-546D

also having trouble finding regular straight 9.3mm valve stems

went with these from oreileys

Part # 17-543D

now not sure what i ordered is right, has the 546d in the name and is for metric, says 0.98 Ht ~hole thread diameter? maybe not 9.3mm, doesnt convert even close to right....

here is the oreileys link

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/XTS0/17546D/N1769.oap?ck=Search_N1769_1441799_4984&pt=N1769&ppt=C0337#itemDetailTab_

Shoot I just bored the hole in the wheel to 7/16 those you can find by the dozens it is a hair small (literally) than .453 those are available in any configuration.