Wrecked V6 1993 Maybe Good Parts Deal For Someone In Fl

zero

This is in Miami, Florida with a minimum bid/price of $700. If I was nearby and could actually buy it for that $700 - I'd get it in a flash. Lots of sought after parts there. If someone wanted 6 lug wheels and axle - you'd likely get all the parts free once the rest is sold off.

Oh well, I'm too far away.

post-6578-0-27353400-1421248255_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-68172500-1421248256_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-97616300-1421248257_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-02114600-1421248259_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-08507200-1421248260_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-10712400-1421248261_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-06503600-1421248262_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-13669200-1421248263_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-93448400-1421248264_thumb.jp

I wonder who the coach builder was? It's not a Dolphin. I've never seen one like that before. It has a super large front window and very small tail lights.

~Riverman77

Heck ya, unbolt that camper and mount on a 6bt cummins

My "dream" setup would be with a 4BT Cummins. Same engine, just two cylinders shorter. I wanted to build one for years and would have if diesel fuel hadn't shot up so much higher then gasoline.

where you getting a 4bt from jde? a bread truck?

Yes, they are scarce and more pricey then the 6BTs. Probably because at this point, many Dodge trucks have been parted out. 4BT was used in bread-trucks and a few tractors like a Case 580 backhoe/loader. Cummins made "repower" kits for many bread-truck type vans that originally had GM 350 gassers, GM 379 diesels (6.2), or Ford 300 gassers. Those kits had special flywheels to make it easy to build a rig that once had a Chevy or Ford engine. No such kit for a Toyota though.

I've had many chances to buy good running 6BTs for $1000. I've yet to ever come across a 4BT for less then $2500 and those were on the other side of the USA.

I'm sure there are now lighter and smoother running diesels that would fit a Toyota nicely. I don't really care all that much anymore. Not since diesel fuel is just-about always a buck or more per gallon then gasoline. In fact, I'm not hardly even driving my diesel F250 anymore unless I've got a trailer to tow. When empty it gets 16-17 MPG. My 1995 Ford F150 with a gas engine gets 16-17 MPG with gasoline that is $1.97 right now instead of diesel fuel at $2.89. Who knows. Things might go the other way again after the US switches to "ultra-low sulfur gasoline" which will be pretty soon.

I just met a lady at Walmart who was driving a 2015 Chevy Cruze diesel. I walked over to her because at first I thought she had engine problems (due to the noise). I did not know there was a Cruze diesel. I got home and looked up the specs on it. Gets 33 MPG city and 46 MPG highway. The Cruze with the gas engine gets 33 MPG city and 42 MPG highway. So the more expensive diesel version costs $6.28 to drive 100 miles. The cheaper gas-Cruze costs $4.69 to drive 100 miles. Makes NO sense to me to get the diesel. Not unless things change with prices.

Makes perfectly good sense to me once or twice a year or more when gas was more expensive than or equal to diesel.

Unfortunately with OPEC flooding the market trying to make shale and tar sands ventures go bankrupt and for the foreseeable future I must agree with you that diesel is no longer the cheaper cost per mile engine. I still like it for low end torque, ability to long term store fuel and for SHTF situations where there is no gas.

The motor might not like it but in july I bet you could pour veg oil in your tank and be just fine :)

Makes perfectly good sense to me once or twice a year or more when gas was more expensive than or equal to diesel.

Unfortunately with OPEC flooding the market trying to make shale and tar sands ventures go bankrupt and for the foreseeable future I must agree with you that diesel is no longer the cheaper cost per mile engine. I still like it for low end torque, ability to long term store fuel and for SHTF situations where there is no gas.

The motor might not like it but in july I bet you could pour veg oil in your tank and be just fine :)

Keep in mind that my primary residence was in the state of New York until this year. Diesel in New York has been way above gas for many years. I've been coming to northern Michigan for 10 years and for most of those years - reg. gas and diesel were often the same price. NOT this year though.

20-30 years ago, in my area of New York, Agway would sell "winter farm diesel:" at half-price come spring. It was 50% kerosene and did not give as good MPGs as #2 diesel - but I got it at times for 40-50 cents a gallon. And yeah, used it sort of "illegally" in my road trucks. as well as in farm tractors.

And yes, I like the low-end torque that many diesels have - but it has nothing to do with them being diesel engines. A gas engine with the same bore and stroke as your Cummins with the same turbo-boost would have more horsepower and more low-end torque then the diesel version. Same with your Beamer if you could find such an engine. Just so happens there are no long-stroke, high-torque gas engines being used in cars and trucks anymore. Industrial and farm equipment 1980s and back, yes.

The only diesel engine used in a modern-day pickup truck (that I'm aware of) that was made in a gas and diesel version is the 7.3 used in Ford pickup trucks (made by International Harvester). It started life as a 446 cubic inch gas engine used in medium-duty trucks and school buses. More horsepower and torque then the diesel version. Now with diesel fuel prices going so much higher then gasoline - some big-rig tractor-trailers trucks are getting built to run on compressed natural gas. Basically just gas engines with LOTs of power. Problem is for now - they can only travel where there is fuel available.

To be fair, I guess you could say Oldsmobile also made an engine in gas and diesel versions. The late 70s 350. The diesel was a real dog but again - the gas 350 had much more torque and horsepower then the diesel version Chevy used in pickup trucks.

the low end torque comment was not a comparison of the same engines in diesel vs gas configs like the 7.3 power stroke but rather same year offerings. If you are telling me that a 1998 2500 ram has the same low end or better torque in gas vs the 2500 cummins I call shenanigans. (as 420fpt > 335fpt when comparing 5.9 cummins against the 5.9 magnum V8....)

Thats the whole point of the diesel offerings; they have better low end torque and usually MPG as well in the offering of their class. Bore and stroke you may be right but thats a very limited number of engines sold that way.

Just curious but have you seen the new diesel Rams that are comming out in the 1500 class?> impressive 29 mpg and torque/hp very similar to the 6bt.

imagine what it could have been without the urea and dpf etc.... wow!

You're forgetting the forgettable 4.3 V6 and 260 V8. :)

I didn't forget. I was trying to come with gas and diesel engines that shared blocks, bore and stroke. For Oldsmobile, the 350 was the only one.

The 4.3s were pretty good as compared to the 5.7s. Less head-gasket issues and crankshaft failures. The 5.7s were pretty useless until GM came out with the special DX lawsuit-replacement 350s in 1981. By that time - Detroit Diesel was was ready with the new V8 diesel for GM - the 6.2. So the DX 350 was "too little and too late."

Now on the subject of 260 cubic inch engines - I loved my 1964 Falcon Sprint with the 260 V8. Doesn't have much to do with Olds diesels though.

Just curious but have you seen the new diesel Rams that are comming out in the 1500 class?> impressive 29 mpg and torque/hp very similar to the 6bt.

imagine what it could have been without the urea and dpf etc.... wow!

I've read the specs and gotten mad at some of the Fiat (RAM) commercials that are a bit mis-leading.

But yes, it is amazing at the power and torque they're getting out of gas and diesel engines.

As far as I can tell - the cheapest RAM 1500 diesel you can buy is $35,000. Today, to drive it 500 miles down the highway, it would cost $49.28 in fuel.

A Ford F150 with the 2.7 Eco-boost gas engine is $7000 cheaper and does the same 500 mile trip for $37.88 in fuel.

A Ford F150 with the bigger 3.5 liter Eco-boost gas engine has more power and torque then the diesel and does the trip with $41.09 in fuel.

It's all make-believe to me, anyway. The day will never come when I spend more money on a truck then what I can buy a house for. Fun to look though.

What I meant by my statement is that my Ford 260 gas V8 doesn't have much to do with Oldsmobile diesels.

The Oldsmobile diesel gas-engine conversion story is kind of interesting IF what I've read is true. It was supposedly a "home" project by an Olds engineer who was experimenting a bit in his garage. His conversion idea got some interest during one of the big US fuel crunches. The project became a big company project and wound up being the disaster it was. At the time, I was the ONLY guy in our shop that did not have a 1/2 ton 2WD Chevy pickup with the new diesel. My boss had three of them in two years before he finally took a hint. A best of around 18 MPG and head gaskets every 20K-30K miles until the crankshaft snapped in half or the injection pump seized from water intrusion. For awhile, doing 350 diesel back-to-gas conversions became a cottage industry and it required an Oldsmobile engine. Chevy 350 would not work.

Oddly that now those 350 diesels are worth some money to Oldsmobile racing enthusiasts. Seems that the 350 diesels make very rugged gas engines for racing when converted back into 400-something-cubic-inch gas engines.

I experienced something similar recently with Homelite or Bearcat 55 horse 4-sroke outboard motors from the 60s-70s. They were made from Crosley car engines turned sideways. I have two. Now - Crosley "vintage" race enthusiasts seek these outboards to convert back into car engines. The outboard version has more cubic inches and more power potential.

I've read that Nissan is working with Cummins on a 2.8 liter diesel. Supposed to put out 200 Hp and weighs almost 300lbs less than the BT4

Linda S

I wonder if that's the engine Cummins was first engineering for Chrysler before they went bankrupt. The 3 liter diesel that Fiat is putting in RAM trucks was originally being designed for General Motors cars. But like Chrysler - they too went belly up and Fiat scooped up the new engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder who the coach builder was? It's not a Dolphin. I've never seen one like that before. It has a super large front window and very small tail lights.

~Riverman77

My rig is a 1989 Dolphin which is exacly like this one. It has Dolphin emblems on the rear and sides.

My rig is a 1989 Dolphin which is exacly like this one. It has Dolphin emblems on the rear and sides.

Does your '89 have such small taillights? Also, does yours have that same huge cabover front window?

Linda chimed in with a comment like 'that large window does not appear to be a stock size'.

~Riverman77

Does your '89 have such small taillights? Also, does yours have that same huge cabover front window?

Linda chimed in with a comment like 'that large window does not appear to be a stock size'.

~Riverman77

I can't figure out what he's looking at that makes him think it's a Dolphin. Overhead section is shaped differently, no Dolphin logos that I can see and yes different tail lights.

Linda S

I can't figure out what he's looking at that makes him think it's a Dolphin. Overhead section is shaped differently, no Dolphin logos that I can see and yes different tail lights.

Linda S

Agreed. Those small taillights look like a rig from the early '80's. And the super huge window, I have never seen before. You thought it could be a custom window. Why would anyone (in their right mind) build a big window like that? Really into star gazing or something? They're just asking for a bird to come smash the window, while driving down the highway.

~Riverman77

Edited by Riverman77

Agreed. Those small taillights look like a rig from the early '80's. And the super huge window, I have never seen before. You thought it could be a custom window. Why would anyone (in their right mind) build a big window like that? Really into star gazing or something? They're just asking for a bird to come smash the window, while driving down the highway.

~Riverman77

I think the original window got broken and that bigger one is all they could find cheaply. If it is a Conquest not many were made and a replacement window would have had to be custom and very expensive. I think it's a Conquest because they are the only manufacturer who made that shape overhead and still made rigs into the 90's

Linda S