1989 3Vze Runs Like Crap Cold, Runs Fine Warmed Up

Hi, my 1989 sea breeze runs terrible for about 3 minutes till it warms up. Then it runs great. I am guessing it could be the engine coolant temperature sensor. Anyone agree with this or have other ideas what it might be?? Also, which sensor is it of the four sensors back by the firewall? And does anyone have a part number got the sensor? Different sites are giving me different part numbers!

thanks in advance, RVdaytrader, (steve)

Could be a few things. Does it use any coolant? If you're really unlucky it could be a head gasket leak, but there are definitely other things it could be. What leads you towards coolant temp sensor?

Uses no coolant, only about 5k on jasper engine so figure not head gasket....doesn't the coolant sensor tell the computer engine is cold at start-up and computer changes gas/air mix?...I really don't know and was hoping someone hear had ideas!

The sensors are pretty linear so if there is something wrong it should just plain run bad. I don't know what you have for sensors but the coolant sensor will have a water proof connection with at least two wires and a locking tab. So if you have a hard start and poor cold running here is what you can do. Remove the connector and start it this will fool the ECM into thinking it is really cold and if that fixes the cold issue you can try a sensor. I sure there is a resistance to temperature chart on line somewhere you could check it with an ohmmeter also.