Black Water Tank And Refrigerator

I have never owned a camper before, and I'm looking at buying an '85 Toyota New Horizon. The price seems good, considering that the current owner has done just about all the mechanical maintenance I can think of in the three years he has owned it. It has three problems he hasn't addressed, though. The oven apparently needs a new thermostat. The refrigerator, which had been working fine, has stopped cooling, even though the propane fires up. And the previous owner damaged the black water tank, which has been removed.

My first thought about the refrigerator was that perhaps it just may need to be charged with freon. Does anyone who has experience with these have any sense that there may be something else?

I've looked here and there on the Web for information on black water tanks, but I'm left frustrated. The current owner said something about getting one custom made with fittings, but I've seen ads for portable tanks online. I have no idea what size tank I should be looking at, or whether the ready-made tanks are even appropriate.

If any of you who have experience with these things can help me with information, tips, links, or whatever, I would deeply appreciate it.

Unless your fridge has already been replaced with a 'dorm fridge' (many do), your original fridge operated differently than what you're used to. It doesn't operate on Freon but an ammonia refrigerant. Not really 'rechargeable' like a Freon system. Usually requires a replacement cooling unit. ~$350

So the owner didn't keep the old tank or at least take measurements and pictures before tossing it?

Before you even start to worry about the inside look at the axle. rear wheels need to have 6 lugs and a hub that sticks out in the middle. 5 lug axle was recalled years ago but many were never taken care of.

The stove/oven would probably need to be replaced. Thermostats might be available here

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-stoves/rv-stove-parts-instr.htm

Not an easy job though

Fridge like Derek says might need cooling unit. I find most of them cost over 400 now.

You would have to know how to measure for a new black tank

All of this stuff is nothing I would recommend someone new to RV's take on.

Find something in better shape

Linda S

Thanks, Derek.

Fridge: ouch. I guess I'll have to take a closer look when I look at the camper again.

Apparently that is the case with regard to the black water tank. So the current owner has just worked around it by not using the toilet and putting a bucket under the shower drain. (This is one of those that has a sink in the bathroom and a cutout from the sink that turns the bathroom into the shower.) I've thought about getting a portable toilet and just using the tank for the sink and shower.

Black water tank kinda depends on how you want to use the camper. If you don't want to carry around your poop with you, you can get away with doing the same thing the previous owner did. Every slide-in pickup truck camper I've seen is made with a drain hose sticking out the side, so you can stick a 5-gallon bucket under it for the sink water to drain into. No black water tank. Then just dump it in the fire ring or somewhere similar when you're done, so long as it's just dish water and toothpaste or whatever, and nothing nasty. Then just use public restrooms and maybe carry a porta potty.

Is the fridge a two or three-way, or just propane? If it also runs on 12V or 120V, try 120V AC and see if that gets it cold, before giving up on it. Having a propane fridge is great, but when they break down, it can be a pretty big cost, unfortunately. If you're testing it, just remember that it takes hours to cool down, and especially if there's nothing in it to absorb the cold, opening the door once every hour to check it will let all the cold air out. I'd plug it in, put a thermometer inside, and leave it alone for 4-5 hours at least.

Thanks, Montana. If I remember correctly, the fridge runs only on propane. The current owner apparently took the ad down from Craigslist when I first came to look at it. I may have to bite the bullet on that. I'm inclined to just replace the toilet with a porta-potty and go with a bucket for showers for now. This camper is a little funky in some ways, but I can buy it outright without having to worry about monthly payments.

Thanks, Montana. If I remember correctly, the fridge runs only on propane. The current owner apparently took the ad down from Craigslist when I first came to look at it. I may have to bite the bullet on that. I'm inclined to just replace the toilet with a porta-potty and go with a bucket for showers for now. This camper is a little funky in some ways, but I can buy it outright without having to worry about monthly payments.

I don't think any of the fridges installed in these rigs were propane only. At least I have never come across one. There are lots of campgrounds who will frown on that bucket. Gray water running onto the ground used to be common for camping trailers. Not anymore. My daughter's old trailer had a huge black tank but no grey. She was told more than a few times that her bucket which was just catching dish water was not allowed. Just make sure you take your showers when at more remote campgrounds where they won't notice

Did you check that axle yet. That is the most important issue

Linda S

Thanks for your advice, Linda. I do take it to heart. I haven't had a chance to look at the axle yet. The camper's more than an hour away, and I don't have my own vehicle right now. But I will look when I have a chance. Regarding the gray water from the shower and sink, I don't expect to wing it for long, and if I'm at a camp ground or something in the meantime, I'd dispose of it in the most responsible way I can.

• 2 months later...

We have replaced a waste water tank on a dolphin before. Ours only had one tank for all waste water, which I didn't want. We hooked up the greywater and took out the toilet and replaced it with a nice porta potty. I really preferred the p.p. ta to a black water tank. We don't like to travel with full tanks if possible, and you can always find a bathroom to empty the p.p. into. Our shower, like the one you are looking at, would have drained on the ground. If and when we used it, we were in very remote campsites where grey water was ok to go on the ground. Usually we conserve water and manage to camp a night where the grounds have a shower. Depending on one's type of camping, this works.

We've had several refrigerators that lit but didn't get cold. We did all kinds of things...turn upside down, clean all vents, but they were shot. you have to level camper, light or plug in and wait a day or two for it to cool. I suppose you might get lucky and it might get cold. We used ours as an ice box untill we could afford a replacement. Freeze everything freezable, including some water bottles, a few days ahead. Use a battery powered refrigerator fan. Get some plastic shoeboxes to carry block ice when everything gets thawed in a couple of days. We gave up and bought a new one, but people camp with just ice chests all the time.

Like mentioned, the axle is a biggie. Also big (huge to me) is leaks. Look carefully for places where the wood may be rotten. Push gently on corners and walls.

I suppose how much you'd be willing to fix depends on your skills, but Leakey campers scare me. We had to replace a lot of wood in one, and I'd rather buy one that doesn't have rotten wood hiding in the walls!

I've had an oven that work and one that doesn't. We didn't find it too big a deal to not have one, as long as the cooktop works.