Which Motorhome For Cross Country Move And Reselling?

Lostcoast2014

My experience with class c Ford motorhome with 460 v8 was positive, but 7 mpg. The model year was 1978.

With a 1982 class c chevy with 350 v8, also positive, but 8.5 mpg.

I consider the reliability of the Ford/Chev heavy van chassis to be good. If they could get 11 mpg, I'd be tempted to trade the Toyota at times. Simply because of size.

A buddy sold off his Dodge chassis Chinook that he claimed got 12 mpg, but 11 average on the highway. I missed that one. I think he got $6k for it.

My experience with class c Ford motorhome with 460 v8 was positive, but 7 mpg. The model year was 1978.

With a 1982 class c chevy with 350 v8, also positive, but 8.5 mpg.

I consider the reliability of the Ford/Chev heavy van chassis to be good. If they could get 11 mpg, I'd be tempted to trade the Toyota at times. Simply because of size.

A buddy sold off his Dodge chassis Chinook that he claimed got 12 mpg, but 11 average on the highway. I missed that one. I think he got $6k for it.

The year makes some difference. My first "camper" was a retro-fitted 1977 Chevy G10 van. 350 V8 and TH350 trans. On a long trip to Florida from New York it averaged 11 MPG. A friend followed me with his 1983 Ford conversion van with a 351 and he got 9 MPG. Same friend now has a heavier 1995 E250 Ford Conversion van with a 351 engine and much more goodies inside then my van ever had. He gets 14- 15 MPG on long trips. Same guy also has big Class C based on a Ford E350 and a model year I think. 460 engine. Gets 8-9 MPG on long trips and flat highways.

I recently saw two new Tiger Class C RVs. Both built in sort-of a Toyota RV style but on US full-size diesel trucks. Well - not sure if "US" is a proper title. One on a Dodge chassis (owned by Italians). and one on a Chevy. Cummins and Isuzu Duramax. The guy with the Cummins powered Tiger told me he gets 13-14 MPG on the Michigan interstate doing 75 MPH. Might be true. My 92 Dodge gets 17 MPG with a camper on the back doing 75 MPH but mine has a pop-up roof.

jdemaris, thanks again for your great information - it is giving me a lot to think about. I just had the Minnie Winnie mentioned earlier checked out by a mechanic and it had a bad transmission oil leak so I passed on it. I am seeing a few other Ford/Chevy chassis mh's online in the same 21 ft size range and there is even a 1997 Four Winds on eBay in southern California that is getting my interest. My challenge is that I live in a very remote area and so checking out the nice looking/sounding rigs means driving 5-11 hours each way… There have been two really nice Toyota motorhomes on Craigslist that were sold before I could arrange to drive down to take a look at them. Oh well, the price for living in a beautiful wilderness..

Edited by Lostcoast2014

. My challenge is that I live in a very remote area and so checking out the nice looking/sounding rigs means driving 5-11 hours each way…

Yes, I know how that goes. Just about anytime I see something that peaks my interest, it's WAY far away. I also find that items for sale are rarely as described so I get less inclined as time goes on to travel to look at anything. That is, unless it's dirt cheap. Then, even if it IS something I want, there's the issue of getting it back without making a second long trip. I had been looking for a Chinook to fix up for over two years in NY. The closest I saw was in Rockland Maine. Since it was a Chinook from Louisiana and broke-down in Maine (no rust) - I figured for a $500 price tag I couldn't go wrong. Put the camper on the truck, hooked up the trailer, got the wife, kid, and dog - and off we went. Got to camp in a Maine campground for free since it was closed for the winter. Quite a haul, especially through the mountains of Vermont. Yeah, odd color but good running rig. It was only "brokedown" due to a cracked windshield. As a side-benefit, our little kid got to see the Atlantic ocean for the first time in Demariscotta, Maine.

post-6578-0-52435900-1414067018_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-64888900-1414067020_thumb.jp

I love this guys add:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Toyota-Sunrader-RV-camper-1-ton-/121464743699?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c47dce713&item=121464743699&pt=RVs_Campers

"To match this car you'll have to grow a Burt Reynolds mustache and dust off those Tom Cruise sunglasses you've got in your closet."

lol