Hi
looking for some help on where to start trouble shooting on my v6 dolphin. have got an erratic idle changes speed every time i start up. also get a petrol smell. when above idle estimate 1000-1200 upwards very smooth and powerful mpg is 20+ mpg imperial in mixed driving and no petrol smell big step up from 13mpg when i bought her. have fitted new plugs and injectors made very little difference. cannot find a vacuum leak but have replaced vacuum hoses from throttle body only as they slipped on and off very easily. spark plugs a light tan colour and timing set at 12 degrees set with jumper in t1 & te1. Checked tonight in dark for leaking electricity no blue sparks anywhere. pendlum is very clean and throttle body shows no sign of dirt. all cables have been lubricated.
Any other items to check other than vafm and tps. thanks in advance
dave

Thanks jdfrost

will use haynes manual to locate mass air jet. Have a rough idea on where to find it.

Dave

one other thing it might be a dirty throttle body .just take intake tube of and spray carb cleaner in it all around the butterfly in the throttle body. I had a lot of 22 re engine that did same thing clean all the carbon build up away from butterfly

Thanks again jd frost.

bought some carb cleaner when its not raining will follow your pointers.

Dave

Hi derek

no probs starting just tick over giving me hassle on open road performance is very good and my mpg is now up to 22 imperial mpg. so do not suspect a fuel leak or low fuel pressure. sure mine will be a simple fix once prob identified.

Ummmmm now why did i not think of that. must be getting up a 2am to go to work that is fuddling the brain.

Thanks for all replys

dave

Have no engine check lights, dumped a bottle of lucas deep clean fuel system cleaner in tank. what a difference. idle is very high and smooth so lowered it and went to work 26 miles away. still high so lowered idle again a little lumpy. drove home still high so lowered again. power is up climb hills with a lot less kick down and mpg is improving. 100 miles on less than 4 imperial gallons.