Why You Should Change All The Fluids After Buying A Used Vehicle.

I just finished pumping out the windshield washer reservoir on my new Toy. It was just plain water. Not good with winter coming on here. Reminds me of a story from a while back. There's a 99 Buick sitting right beside my Toy there. I bought that three years this coming March. I got it from one of those small car flippers that I know; they get them from the auto auction, fix and paint them up a bit.

Now that was a warm winter, but then there was a cold snap and that thing started overheating. I took it up to a mechanic and he's running tests on the fan and stuff and I'm poking around with the coolant reservoir. I said "This looks like plain water in here". Sure enough, we drained it and put in antifreeze and it's been fine ever since.

So you gotta check, y'know. I gave the dealer a bit of a hard time, but I didn't really blame him. Who expects that. People are weird, they do things and forget they did them and cut corners and whatever. So you got to check everything.

An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. I've been saying we should have a sticky here with a list of things to be checked or replaced outright when getting a used toy. Nothing like seeing a someone having to do an engine rebuild because of a 30 year old water pump going bad. I've seen plenty of shocking examples here that gave me a "kick-in-the-butt" to get my toy up to snuff.