1990 Toyota Townace Diesel 4X4 Campervan

passman

Tried to bring a vehicle over from Japan years back. I was told Japan doesn't use safety glass like we do here in the states. Not sure if that applies today but I'm sure it come down to regulations.

I love these, saw a ton of these while travelling in Japan.

Can you import these into US from Canada or even Japan?

No. Too many things that will not pass import laws including the diesel. You probably would not like driving it either they are right hand drive.

Older foreign vehicles can be imported OK. Some are brought in just for show and not driven on public highways. Getting them legally registered and driving them is a different story.

"The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will not register a vehicle that has been imported into the U.S. without proof an entry was filed with CBP (US Customs and Border Protection) and proof the vehicle conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. If the vehicle does not conform to U.S. emissions or safety standards, you will not be able to register it in the U.S. You will either have to bring it up to U.S. standards or export the car."