Cover Or Heat For Dolphin In Winter?

whyverne14

My 86 Dolphin will have to sit outside all winter in PA. I'm especially worried about freezing rain (getting into every crack and expanding) and heavy snows. I was looking at covers, not cheap. Then I was thinking about the folks who stay in their camper all winter. They just keep it warm.

Where I park, I can't get a cord to it; but what if I put the old kero heater in there under adverse conditions? Crack the cab windows for air. That thing goes for about 10 hours on low. I don't imagine that the insulation is all that great in the coach. Do you think that would keep the roof warm and dry? Seems like it wouldn't cost that much, depending on how much bad weather we get. My first winter, what do the pros think?

Make sure you winterize the water system. Then buy the best quality tarp you can and cover it. Heat inside isn't gong to stop water from getting into cracks on the outside and possibly causing damage. To make sure water drains off the roof many people make a roof peak under the tarp with recycle bins and a board across them. Then tie that tarp down as tight as you can. Maybe even double tarp it.

Linda S

Actually we're planning a Florida trip this winter. Maybe we'll just stay there. A tarp scares me cause, Oh Boy, do we get wind here. Big winds. Might have to spring for a cover just to make myself feel better. Or just fix any damage in the spring. I didn't know kero put out a lot of moisture, I know propane does. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I put that really good ADCO cover in my wish list on Amazon. It dropped from $325 to $250 but almost immediately sold out. Went back up and has now dropped again to $272. They're teasing me. If you don't know that trick, it often helps to put things in your shopping cart without buying them. Often the price will drop to get you to pull the trigger.

Happy trails.