I have a 1991 sunrader with the 3.0 v6. I am considering doing a gauge cluster swap to one that has a tach. I know I will have to change the oil pressure sending unit when i do. The only problem is I cant find where it is on the motor! Ive done some research and it seem like its suppose to be near the oil filter, but either its not there or im just totally missing it. Can someone please tell me where it is. A picture would be a big help too! Thanks

It will be along an oil galley on the side of the engine. That's a little oil "tunnel" in the side of the block, a little raised ridge.

On my 22R, it was on the passenger side, in the area of the oil filter, but I don't know where they are on the V6. It just looks like a little plug sticking out of the side of the engine block, with a wire coming out of it. You can leave it...The correct way to do this is to keep what you have, but add a sending unit.

What you have is an oil switch. It operates the dummy light. If you take it out, your oil light won't come on.

At least with the R-series engines...

The switch operates the dummy light, and the sending unit operates the pressure gauge. So at least what I had to do was take out one of the threaded plugs in the engine block and screw the sending unit into it. There should be several allen wrench style plugs in the side of your engine block. Those holes are where both the sending unit and switch screw into.

I'd post a photo of my 20R but I really doubt it'll help you with your 3.0...

Thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to find it! Also I was under the impression that you had to replace the switch with the pressure sensor, and if you don't it will fry your oil pressure gauge on your new cluster?

Thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to find it! Also I was under the impression that you had to replace the switch with the pressure sensor, and if you don't it will fry your oil pressure gauge on your new cluster?

I believe you're right. Of course you could add a Tee and have the sender AND switch installed. Of course you'd have to add a light, preferably a big, bright one in your line of sight in case you don't happen to be watching your gauge when disaster strikes!

I can't say for sure how the V6 is set up.

Like I said, on my 22R, I needed both. The switch was wired to the oil warning light. The sending unit was wired to the pressure gauge. You are correct: if you wire the switch to the gauge, supposedly it will fry it.

But your SR5 cluster will still have the oil warning light, as far as I know, which is connected to the switch. At least on my 22R that was the case.

So I had to find another plug in an oil galley, unscrew the plug, and thread a sending unit into the hole. In addition to the other spot where the switch was threaded in.

What's the T for? And what's a switch hole? :)

There should be a place to plug a wire for the oil pressure sending unit in the back of the cluster, and a hole to plug the wire from the oil pressure switch. These are two completely different things.

On the back of the cluster there dozens of wires coming in. They each control something different. The oil dummy light and oil pressure gauge are two completely separate things. Two separate spots in the cluster, two separate wires, two separate things threaded into the engine block on the other end of those wires.

But I might be missing what you're getting at with the Tee.

had a tee on a car once screw into block put both sending units one for a light one for a pressure gauge on the tee use gauge and oil light both. use to add after market oil guage