Trans Temp With Added Cooler??

zero

I'm wondering if anyone here has added a cooler to their Toyota RV with automatic and torque-converter drive. If so - I'm wondering if it gave any improvement? I am considering adding one but not convinced it will do anything. Maybe? Maybe not? My 1988 Minicruiser already has the OEM cooler/warmer in the radiator along with the stock oil-to-air cooler in front of the radiator.

I've taken my rig for two recent torture-tests. One is the road I live on with a 25% grade. Short run - maybe 1 mile and trans gets to 230 F while in 1st gear @ 10 MPH. 2nd test was a long 5 mile climb that's 12% grade most of the way. Did it yesterday when air temps were 82 degrees F. 2nd gear the whole way and 25 MPH speed. Again 230 F was the hottest but that only happens at the most extreme parts. Then cools right back down to 190 F. Engine and coolant temp always fine.

I'm doubtful an added cooler at those speeds is going to make any difference. But - if it can help - I'll add one. I like to see some test results from someone else that has added a cooler and compared temps. Just with a torque-converter drive. Not with a lock-up converter which basically is NO converter when engaged.

95 degrees, AC on, 2nd gear, 35-45 mph, 5x8 enclosed trailer.

Climbing over Powder River Pass from Buffalo WY. The road goes from 4500ft to 10,000ft in about 17 miles. The trannie temps run around 210 degrees.

Two things 1 I'm going faster than you and have better airflow, 2. The cooler is a 5x14 flat plate cooler and not a tube cooler

Thanks for the info. I'm considering using a add-on trans cooler with a thermostat and fan. I've got a neighbor with a Duramax Chevy that had a lot of trans heat issues when pulling trailers. In his case - a conventional cooler did near nothing but a cooler with electric fan dropped his peak temps by 20 degrees.