Japanese Quality From The 70S-80S.

zero

Cleaning some stuff out of my old barn and selling. Trying to exit the great liberal tax-to-death state of New York where a sling-shot is considered a dangerous firearm (yes, I'm serious).

I sold one of my Datsuns today. 1980 280ZX. Had been buried in the back of my barn for 12 years. Gas in the tank was also 12 years old but it was dosed with Stabil. A guy from Ireland bought it today. Put a battery in it and it started right up. Ran perfect. Covered with raccoon and mouse tracks. Good thing they did not get inside.

Then pulled out a Honda 100 cc motorcycle. Also not been run for 12 years. Poured some gas in it, kicked it twice and it started right up. Took it for a ride up in the fields and ran perfect.

Then found an old Sony radio. "World Receiver" with MW, LW FM, and SW. Got it home, hooked some power to it and it works great. Works better then my best new radios on AM/MW which is pretty amazing.

Next on the list is trying to start a 1977 Toyota that last ran in 1984.

Japanese quality is pretty amazing. We'd better watch out if we ever share a World War with them.

post-6578-0-45441400-1405871813_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17917900-1405871815_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-08661500-1405871816_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-01776300-1405871817_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28981000-1405871835_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-42174100-1405871853_thumb.jp

Bought a used 1974 Datsun B-210 from a guy who lived by the beach. Body was rusting out something fierce when some low life stole it many years later. But it always ran great and never needed anything except I stripped the reverse gears in the tranny. Could not believe how small those gears were compared the the Yamaha motorcycles I was racing at the time.

You have some nice machines there, JD...

I'm going to miss the Datsun. It came from southern California and had no rust. Also was lower performance due to the California emissions regs. Had the oddest electronic fuel injection system I've ever seen. Bosch Jetronic. Injects half a fuel charge every stroke. Runs like a Swiss watch though. Had to sell it. My two-seater days are pretty much over. I've always got my wife, kid, and dog with me. Often a grand-daughter too. Toyota RV works out much better.

Other products were good too. I have old Seiko watches and wall clocks that continue to run. The watches have the radioctive dial.

I have several old "Matsumoku" guitars. All were good quality. They were discount priced in the day, but were fine instruments. They were sold under brand names like Aria, Aria Pro 2, Univox, Vantage, and some others.

Other products were good too. I have old Seiko watches and wall clocks that continue to run. The watches have the radioctive dial.

I have several old "Matsumoku" guitars. All were good quality. They were discount priced in the day, but were fine instruments. They were sold under brand names like Aria, Aria Pro 2, Univox, Vantage, and some others.

I've got a few Univox and Kent Japanese guitars. Very well built but guitars repair-people tend to hate them. That because the Japanese used epoxy glue that cannot be steamed apart very easy.

I have a small collection of Richard Helmstetter pool cues. They were made in Japan in the 8o's and in my opinion they hit better than 99% of the other cues I've played with. The craftsmanship that went into them is top notch. But since they were made in Japan their value is no where near what they should be bringing. If these same cues were made in the US they would be worth at least 3 to 4 times what they are going for now. Which is good for me cause I'll keep adding to my collection ;-)

Jap quality who would buy a 25 year old motorhome which has stood for 9 months without viewing and drive it 600 miles home. that person was me. have never regretted decision. mpg is only complaint getting 20 imperial mpg in mixed driving. driving a 3 ton brick with a v6 and auto box probably quite good.