Tank Level Sending Unit

'83 Dolphin and my grey tank keeps reading empty. I'm good with cars but the rv stuff is new to me. Fixing a bunch of wiring hacks and found the double wire that runs from the level indicator in the camper is not connected to the tanks below and was just strapped up behind the drivers rear wheels. Where should this be connected for it to function properly? Is there a replacement level sending unit that I need to buy?
Thanks!

If you do get the wires attached to the proper location, chances are they will not work. Its 30 years old.

'83 Dolphin and my grey tank keeps reading empty. I'm good with cars but the rv stuff is new to me. Fixing a bunch of wiring hacks and found the double wire that runs from the level indicator in the camper is not connected to the tanks below and was just strapped up behind the drivers rear wheels. Where should this be connected for it to function properly? Is there a replacement level sending unit that I need to buy?

Thanks!

What kind of tank sensors do you have? Resistance sensors inside the tanks, or capacitance sensors on the outside of the tanks? Note the latter looks like tinfoil glued to the outside of the tank.

How does your system work? Lights? I also agree with darrel they are far less than accurate by design the best they can do is 25% and more often 0%. Pretty much the gray tank comes close to equaling the fresh water so you probably would run out of water before the gray tank was full. If you really want to know just how much is in the tanks invest in SeeLevel tank gauges. Your gauges can be fixed but don't expect them to really tell you exactly what is in the tanks. Most of the plastic tanks had 4 sensors at 1/4 depth each a common ground and 4 wires one for each light.

My 1988 Minicruiser and also a few Dolphins I've worked on have a capacitive sensor system. I.e. no array of sensors going into the tank. Just tin foil on the outside of the plastic tank with two wires. One on each side. No separate sensors. If this is what you have - you might want to read this guy's article about how he repaired his. I did the same.

http://iflyez.com/alaska/?p=9

post-6578-0-83649500-1404839277_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-32400000-1404839282_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-27623600-1404839287_thumb.jp

Awesome link!

Turns out both my black and fresh water tanks function properly with an external capacitive sensor system.

The grey water tank has been replaced with a new tank and that is why the sensors are not connected. I'm going to try and make this work.

Cheers all!

Vince