Lf Tank Tutorials For My 89 Sunrader

Campernoob

Hello & thanks for looking at my post. I have a 1989 Toyota Sunrader & am hoping to find links for info re: fresh, grey & black water tank maintenance. I've seen some info out there, but without pics it's hard to know how & if it applies to my Sunny. I only see/know of 2 drain outlets, one under my rear bumper which I assume is the grey water tank, and one on the driver side under my bathroom which I'm assuming is the black water tank. When it comes time for "winterizing" I am unclear how to make sure all of the lines are completely void of any remaining water. Also, I'm not even sure how to fill my fresh water tank - I thought a water hose would just screw onto the potable water inlet but it doesn't look like it will attach properly ... am I supposed to use a funnel? Or do I buy a water pressure regulator ($8 at Walmart) as I saw in another post & does that attach to the opening? And I'm unclear what the opening to the left of it is with a wire mesh cover over it, which I can't get off -- is it a vent? It will turn in both directions but it doesn't unscrew. How do/should I clean it? Also, is it true that white vinegar (1/4 cup per 5 gallons?) is an equally effective way to sanitize your FW system? If so I think I'd prefer that over the bleach method, given it would probably have less of a residual effect after flushing out. I've included pics of my fresh water inlet (there's a little tiny hole above it & what looks like maybe a rubber plug that can fit inside the tiny hole,attached to the cap cover -- what's that for?), the 2 drains I can see, my water tank/system inside under passenger back bench, the water heater (how do I drain that?), & water heater switch. As far as the water heater, that operates on propane only correct? And is turned on/off by the electric switch under the kitchen sink -- it's electric-ignited via 12V auxillary battery, not pilot light yes?

Ok that was a lot of rambling & not well-organized, my apologies. I appreciate all who have responded to my previous questions and I thank you for your patience. This is all totally new to me.

Thanks,

Todd

post-6412-0-92595300-1404330549_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-75297000-1404330616_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-88918100-1404330637_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-68355900-1404330668_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-80439700-1404330698_thumb.jp

post-6412-0-06296200-1404330737_thumb.jp

You asked a lot of questions. First in the second picture that is your fill tube for your water tank. The big hole you stick a hose into and fill it . Next to disinfect the tanks. I use about a half cup of bleach and fill the tank. Let it sit for a while and drain. Then fill and flush a couple of times to get rid of the bleach smell. The waste tanks need to be emptied separately. First you do the black tank and then move the hose over to the grey tank. Grey helps rinse the yuck out of the hose. I leave the other end in the dump hole while moving to the other tank.

Linda S

Thank you for your response Linda. I feared my disorganized thoughts would be unclear. I've seen the written instructions for sanitizing the fresh water tanks, just like the ones you gave. I was wondering more specifically if I use some sort of attachment to keep the hose in place (& even a water pressure regulator, which I've read somewhere because some city hookups have such high pressure there is potential for damage to the lines) or do I stand & hold it in place through the whole process? And do I do anything at all with the metal mesh do-hicky on the left? It looks like it could use a cleaning but I can't get it off. And it has a clear plastic cover - when should it be on & when should it be off?

And again I apologize for my onslaught of questions. I wasn't expecting anyone to answer every single one, I was more hoping that the info is already out there & people could point me in the right direction, via links (video?), for how to fill & test & drain/"winterize" Toyota MH water systems.

-Todd :)

The pressure regulator is only for the city water hook up. That hook up is the one on the right in the picture with the screen. Looks like the threads for the hose are messed up. Should look like this and yes clean that screen or replace it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-GRAVITY-CITY-WATER-TANK-FILL-dish-NEW-hookup-hatch-with-door-lock-marine-/351107242352?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bf9f5970&vxp=mtr

That one won't fill your water tank though. My fresh water fill is different than yours and a hose will stay in the hole by itself. Yours probably will to just don't have the water coming out too strong. No I don't know of any video's of this process.

Easiest way to winterize is to buy RV water system antifreeze. Read the instructions on the bottle.

Linda S