Hello all,

I've found a 1978 Gypsy (by LuJo)with 97k miles. I called the owner and he said it has a 'free floating one ton rear end with 3 u joints.' I did a few searches and can't find an answer to my question; Did some motorhome manufacturers order trucks with one ton rear ends in 1978? Also do all one ton rear ends have 6 lugs or were there 5 lug one ton rear ends also.

He wasn't near the rig too look at how many lugs it has. He also said it had 'Rec air', some type of small swamp cooler that runs on 120 and 12 volt.

I wish I knew more on the subject.

Yes very cute little rig but not a full floater. Toyota didn't come out with them until 1986 so the only way yours would have one is if a previous owner upgraded it and they didn't. I don't see dual wheels on the back of yours though. Is it single wheels? If so you might be OK. Just need to weigh your rig and make sure you have tires with a weight rating to match the front and rear. I would have the rear bearings serviced just because of the age though. Make sure the tires aren't too old either. 6 or 7 years is the limit no matter what they look like.

Your Rec Air cooler works on 12 volt only. Of course if you have a converter when plugged in you will have 12 volt power too. They are now called Turbo Kool and they still have parts for the Rec Air models

http://www.turbokool.com/

Linda S

Hello all,

I've found a 1978 Gypsy (by LuJo)with 97k miles. I called the owner and he said it has a 'free floating one ton rear end with 3 u joints.

I think the term "one ton" gets used too loosely and has lost real meaning. The rear in your Toyota is a semi-floating rear axle and rated at 3300 lbs. So it's 1300 lbs. more then a ton. The dually full floating rear axle you are referring to has a load capacity of over 5000 lbs., i;e. over 2 tons. My 3/4 ton pickup truck has a rear axle with a 8800 lb. rating - i.e. over 4 tons.