We noticed that our 86 dolphin driver side is probably 2-3 inches lower than the passenger's side. Both airbags are inflated to 50PSI. Looked at the rear suspension and noticed that leaf springs look really flat. I thought it should be more arched. I am attaching pictures below.

What do you think?

If it needs to be replaced, what kind of shop do we need to go to?

post-7679-0-54117700-1401901666_thumb.jp

post-7679-0-84286300-1401901668_thumb.jp

post-7679-0-01610300-1401901671_thumb.jp

Yes, they sure look kind of tired. There's nothing to stop you from adding more air on one side to level things up as a temporary fix.

When the bushings in me leaf springs needed replacing, I took it to a shop that specializes in suspension for heavy trucks. They worked from a pit and I was barely able to back the Toyota over it. Only the outer tires were on the ground. Kind of nerve wracking!! :)

We noticed that our 86 dolphin driver side is probably 2-3 inches lower than the passenger's side. Both airbags are inflated to 50PSI. Looked at the rear suspension and noticed that leaf springs look really flat. I thought it should be more arched. I am attaching pictures below.

What do you think?

If it needs to be replaced, what kind of shop do we need to go to?

All those 1st stage upper leafs are shot. Not long ago I'd say go to good spring shop. Now? cheaper just to buy new complete spring assemblies and have them put in. Any shop with some wrenches and a set of torches can do the job.

We had the leaf springs on our 85 Dolphin re-arched. Plus, they added one new one to each side. It cost about $600, but it was a very worthwhile upgrade. Now it sits level (more or less; there is lots of extra weight on the passenger side of our model what with the water tank, auxiliary fuel tank, propane tank, frig, 60 lb dog, etc.). But the most important thing is the ride. It made a world of difference in the overall "lift" and the way it handles. The back end sits up rather than drags down (as it used to) and this seems to have shifted the center of gravity. It's like driving a completely different vehicle. Not to mention the fact that now every time we climb into the coach it no longer makes an angry screechy sound as it flexes under our weight.

I highly recommend having this work done if you can afford it.

Re-arc and add a leaf, or buy a new pack and add a leaf. Either way I'd add a leaf.

Although I'm coming from the perspective of have a single rear wheel, non one ton rear axle...If you've got dualies and a one ton suspension in the back, the "stock" leaf spring pack might be enough.

For me, just replacing my rear leafs with stock 2wd pickup leafs for my truck would not help much. They really need an added leaf (or two).

I agree with the above post. My camper was very unstable on the road when I bought it. Adding a leaf spring to each side on the rear and replacing the shocks made it a whole new vehicle to drive.

Thank you for the tips. I guess we will get the leafs replaced then.

Unfortunately right now we are on the road and on a tight schedule. Do you think it safe to drive with such suspension for about 3 weeks (~800miles)?

You can buy brand new springs (both sides) for $500 if you shop around. A good spring shop is not so common now a days and some "cheat" by cold-rearching the springs. The only right way to to it is to first anneal the springs (take out the temper), re-arch them, and then heat-treat them again like is done with new springs. With labor rates like they are - it's often more cost-effective to buy new springs. Or get a good set of used ones from a regular 1/2 ton truck and add a few leaves. Toyota leaves are an odd-ball width but Tundra leaves fit fine.

post-6578-0-08964300-1401912386_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-19516300-1401912387_thumb.jp

The springs in my 20 foot 1988 Mini-Cruiser looked like yours. The previous owner put Hellwig helper springs on it for less then $200. They go on easy. Not a major project like replacing entire leaf springs. They worked pretty well and the RV did not have any air-bags as supplemental helpers. When I got it - I added the air-bags and all is great. So my springs look just like yours except I've got the Hellwigs and Air-Ride air-bags in there. It rides plenty high and firm with 50 PSI and I'm fine with it. Can't say if anyone else has tried - or likes - the helper springs.

post-6578-0-60924000-1401912798_thumb.jp

Unfortunately right now we are on the road and on a tight schedule. Do you think it safe to drive with such suspension for about 3 weeks (~800miles)?

I'd suggest you try more air in the air springs than the 50psig you have now, plus more on the droopy side.

My Escaper had an even worse case of worn out springs. Instead of an upward arc, they actually arced down slightly. I added air bags and have been running them at 80 psi. I also keep a set of frame lift jacks under the RV at all times while it is parked. The springs have actually taken on a slight upward arc after 2 years without air pressure. When I put the 80 psi in, I get a really nice upward arc.

My next major project is to replace the entire spring packs. I have looked locally and have not been able to find spring packs for an '87 RV. Does anyone have a source for full spring packs? I think that I also want to add one extra leaf to the pack. I am looking forward to good springs and bushings that are not like rocks.

. Does anyone have a source for full spring packs? I think that I also want to add one extra leaf to the pack. I am looking forward to good springs and bushings that are not like rocks.

SD Truck Springs sells new complete spring assemblies for 1 ton dually Toyotas. $235 each side. Any spring seller that is honest will not recommend them for a Toyota 20-21 foot motorhome. Why? Because the Toyota 1 ton dually springs were never intended to be fully loaded ALL the time. They are two-stage and when used with a motorhome - ride on the 2nd overload stage 100% of the time. The fix is to add a few leaves to the new spring packs OR use air-bags along with them.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7485

post-6578-0-06196300-1401969759_thumb.jp

Mine were tired too. Had a local company re-build and add 2 helpers, $580 with new shackles and bolts. I don't know how different it will be as I have removed about 800 lbs. from the unit. The 4 mile drive home was sure different tho.

Dana

Thanks. I inflated the airbags to 60 and 90 PSI on the driver side. Driver side is still lower about an inch, but the springs looks better.

I have reservations for the month of June so I will keep driving the way it is now and will look at replacing the leafs in beginning of July.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had mine resprung and new ones added. Also did new Bilsteins all the way around. Huge difference, though there still a lot of sway in windy conditions or when being passed on the freeway.

Be careful about adding a lot of air to your air springs. A higher ride, though firmer, is even more susceptible to sway. You'll be white knuckled in a heavy crosswind. I leave mine at 30lbs now that I've had the springs redone.

I just had mine resprung and new ones added. Also did new Bilsteins all the way around. Huge difference, though there still a lot of sway in windy conditions or when being passed on the freeway.

Be careful about adding a lot of air to your air springs. A higher ride, though firmer, is even more susceptible to sway. You'll be white knuckled in a heavy crosswind. I leave mine at 30lbs now that I've had the springs redone.

Is your rear sway bar there? I had too much sway and found out my sway bar had come unattached. Mine drives pretty tight now and I keep my bags at 50 to 60.

Linda S

Good suggestion. I'll check on it, but I'm guessing the company that did the springs would have noticed if the sway bar weren't attached.

If it was completely missing they might have thought the air bags replaced them. NOT. Need sway bar too

Linda S