need recommended Generator - quietest - least expensive

thepager5

Hey there everyone,

I have purchased an 86 Dolphin without a generator. I will need to install one. I do not have any paperwork for this vehicle. Can anyone help me with the recommended generator for this 21' model 900 Dolphin? I would like quiet but also something around the $500 range if possible. It does have the generator closet on the outsdie but is not pre-wired. I assume it has never had one. If anyone has info on this vehicle plase let me know. Thanks in advance for the generator info. Kevin

I have purchased an 86 Dolphin without a generator. I will need to install one. I do not have any paperwork for this vehicle. Can anyone help me with the recommended generator for this 21' model 900 Dolphin? I would like quiet but also something around the $500 range if possible. It does have the generator closet on the outsdie but is not pre-wired. I assume it has never had one. If anyone has info on this vehicle plase let me know. Thanks in advance for the generator info. Kevin

The one that "fits" the best is the Onan Microlite 2800. You can sometimes find them used for your $500 budget, new they are around $2100 at discount outlets (I paid $2021 including freight).

What are your generator requirements? If you are looking for something to run your AC with you will need something around the 2.8 KW or greater power range. If you just want to run your microwave when you stop on the side of the road or to charge your cell phone batteries you would be better off with an inverter.

Most "portable generators" are not designed to be operated in an enclosed compartment. You can carry one in there but you "should" remove it and place it on the ground away from the vehicle before starting it. Most inexpensive generators are going to be noisy as low price is the target not quiet operation.

Thanks for the info on the generator - My need for this was for the use of the furnace when traveling this winter. The furnace will not come on when the rv is not hooked up to land electric. Can I run a large inverter for electric to operate the furnce? or can the furnce be hooked up directly to the battery for power? kevin

Thanks for the info on the generator - My need for this was for the use of the furnace when traveling this winter. The furnace will not come on when the rv is not hooked up to land electric. Can I run a large inverter for electric to operate the furnce? or can the furnce be hooked up directly to the battery for power? kevin

Your furnace should run on DC current

How do I check this? Wiring? I have no books on anything.

Thanks KP

You should be able to follow the wire from the furnace to your fuse panel.

If it works when you are plugged in but does not work when you are unplugged you may have a weak coach battery.

Try running the engine and see if the furnace comes on. The engine alternator charges the coach battery when the engine is running.

You might want to take the coach battery out and have it tested or temporarily replace it with your engine battery to see if the furnace runs with a good battery.

Engine and coach batteries are NOT interchangeable. You need a deep cycle marine battery for the coach and a high cranking power battery for the engine.

A note about generator hookups. There are two ways to connect the generators power to the coaches power. One is with an automatic transfer switch or a manual transfer switch. The other method is to have an outlet from the generator and plug your shore power cable into it. The latter is by far the cheapest. If you just want to be able to push a button from the inside and have instant power you will want an auto transfer switch. One other thing to consider is getting all the wiring into the coach for the generator control panel (start and shut off buttons etc.) and the purchase of the panel. No transfer switch and starting and stopping from outside is the cheapest route.

I too have been looking for a generator for my 1985 Toyota Dolphin. I have been toying between the Honda 1000i or the Honda 2000i. I have tried out both, and the 2000i will run my AC unit just fine as long as its not in economy mode. Question is how often would I use my AC or a microwave? Is it worth the extra couple hundred dollars? Also, anyone know of an amazingly cheap place to get them? Have watched ebay and other local stores, and the cheapest I've ever seen a used 2000i go for was about $780 shipped. They seem to be around $999 in a local store and $899 on ebay new with nearly $100 shipping. The 1000i is quite a bit less and doesn't weigh as much, but will it serve your needs in the longterm? :)

I have a 2.5k Kohler which seems imposible to run smooth inless its under load,I've checked the amp draw the 7000btu ac is about 8.5 at 90 deg ambient the microwave 11amps I've thought about the Honda 2000i it should do the job,but will it fit and be able to cool in the compartment maybe with some modifing of the Honda package. Tom

Are you talking about the generator doing it job while you are driving down the road or when you are parked and camping. For parked and camping, remove the generator from its compartment and sit it outside. How load (db) is the Kohler? If it is down around the 60s, have someone look at it to see why it runs rough.

I have a 2.5k Kohler which seems imposible to run smooth inless its under load,I've checked the amp draw the 7000btu ac is about 8.5 at 90 deg ambient the microwave 11amps I've thought about the Honda 2000i it should do the job,but will it fit and be able to cool in the compartment maybe with some modifing of the Honda package. Tom

I only see one choice. The 2000i wins over the 1000i everyday. What can the 1000i do except run a couple lights and some power tools. If you have a power outage at home, that 2000i can keep your refrigerator going and save a lot of food from spoiling, maybe even the freezer if you have one. It can also run your furnace to keep your house warm, provided you are not trying to run the whole house. Just make sure you have a proper hook-up so you are isolated from the outside lines. Dual function unit for the RV and emergency power! It's a no brainer in my book.

I too have been looking for a generator for my 1985 Toyota Dolphin. I have been toying between the Honda 1000i or the Honda 2000i. I have tried out both, and the 2000i will run my AC unit just fine as long as its not in economy mode. Question is how often would I use my AC or a microwave? Is it worth the extra couple hundred dollars? Also, anyone know of an amazingly cheap place to get them? Have watched ebay and other local stores, and the cheapest I've ever seen a used 2000i go for was about $780 shipped. They seem to be around $999 in a local store and $899 on ebay new with nearly $100 shipping. The 1000i is quite a bit less and doesn't weigh as much, but will it serve your needs in the longterm? :)

The previous owner installed a Coleman 1800 watt generator in the compartment behind the driver's seat on my 21ft '86 Sunrader. I have never operated it since it sputters but does not run. Think the owner left fuel in it too long without running it. It's an older Coleman purchased at a Sam's Club. The newer Coleman's are the same physical size but slightly different styling. The cost is approximately in your $500 range. Expect pull start and a small gas tank which will serve for about 6 hours run time. It's also important to have the smaller AC unit with 7 to 9000 BTU output for this 1800 watt unit.

John H SW Ohio

21 ft. Sunrader 22RE, auto 1986

I just wanted to add a note that I bought a generator on ebay. It was a 1500watt max no name brand generator. We had hopes of using it to run the AC in our Mini-Cruiser. No luck there. First problem was that it was louder than oooo. And second major problem was that it would run the fan but not the AC compressor. Back to the drawing board on that one.