Purchasing From Afar....?

Stuessy

My wife and I are first time buyers. We've found an '86 Granville and have read a couple "buyers tips" sites, but I'm interested in learning what folks on this forum think are the top 5 things to watch out for. My nephew will be taking it for mechanical inspection before our absolute commitment. Thank you for your time and feedback - much appreciated.

If you search you'll find your answers. No big deal, but somebody asks this same question once every couple months.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5744&hl=%2Bnew+%2Bbuyer+%2Bwhat+%2Bto+%2Blook+%2Bfor

You can try different search words to see if you can narrow it down more, too.

Someone may be generous and write out a checklist for you, though.

so 22re the A43 d auto need to make sure all is ok shift and no leaks. tires not over 5 years old . never mind good tread rot ? rv goes about 6000 lbs. look for rot in camper roof leaks etc. do the camper appliances all work. what is the odom mileage. major wood rot will will take a lot to fix do all outside lights work. rv converter power work

The number one item is to make sure that the RV has a 6 lug rear axle. If it has a 5 lug you will need to find a replacement 6 lug and replace it for safety sake.

The number one item is to make sure that the RV has a 6 lug rear axle. If it has a 5 lug you will need to find a replacement 6 lug and replace it for safety sake.

Which is no small job. It requires finding a "one ton" axle, used, somewhere, and fabricating a way to install it. It's something that people do, but it's not cheap, even if you can do the work yourself, which most people can't.

Beyond the mechanical issues with the truck itself you need to make sure all appliances are in working condition including the water pump. Appliances are very expensive to replace.

Check for signs of water leaks and damage including around the windows, vents, hatches also the floors and in the bathroom around tubs, toilets sinks.

Be sure the toilet flushes properly and inspect the waste tanks for signs of cracks or damage including their mounting straps

Check to make sure the cabinets are in good working condition

Check the interior lights and outlets as well as the fan over the stove.

For every RV I've sold, the appliances worked. I stated such and the buyer(s) just took my word for it.

Same goes for every one I've bought. I just took the sellers word. No problem until I bought the Dolphin. We had to sort through issues. The forced air furnace still does not work, but it is a low priority. This left me wondering if the appliance issues appeared just because I took ownership, or if the previous owner misrepresented. Too Late.

The point is, you can choose to take their word for the workability of the appliances, but actually seeing them work is better.

It's an old vehicle. There will probably always be something on your fix-it list, for as long as you own it.

It's probably a good idea to hook it up to a city water line and check all the plumbing connections under city water pressure. Leaks that may not appear under the lesser pressure of the coach pump may show up that way. But do use a water pressure regulator in case the city water you are connected too is over the top with pressure. Water pressure regulators are cheap and you just screw them on to the line before you screw it onto your Dolphin. You will want one anyway to use at RV park hook ups which often have insanely high water pressure.

Look to see how old the water heater is. Ours turned out to be the original heater (the tank insulated with a cardboard box) and the anode rod was so rusted in place is was unremovable. We replaced the water heater as our first upgrade since that old tank was probably just about to rust through.

Like someone else said, be prepared to spend money on it on an ongoing basis. These things are old and need a lot of TLC. I would say don't get a thirty year old RV if you aren't into doing some tweaks and such most of the time. As the guy I bought mine from told me, you sort of need to keep a screw driver and a pair of pliers handy. But Toys have style. They're cute too and well worth the investment of time and money IMHO. Plus, the tweaking is sort of part of the process for me. They are like a hobby, not just a form of transportation and a camping element.

Good luck and enjoy!

Joe