Home, Minus A Few Parts

Debbit

Not sure where this should go. we got home tonight, safe and sound. The wind was exhausting most of the two day drive home, and in Alamogordo, I looked back and noticed the cover to the refrigerator compartment was gone. I know it was still there in Santa Rosa, because I checked it when we stopped for lunch there. Then when we got home, I noticed the air conditioner cover was gone.

Best mpg was going east, around 17 mpg for a couple of tanks and worst was around 11.5 in terrible wind and lots of hills. The sunrader handled as well as any high profile, 4 cylinder vehicle could. we could cruise a bit more confidently with the power steering too.

Night at red rock canyon, OK and dust storm, Texas panhandle

post-7310-0-93784600-1399431698_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-77069600-1399431781_thumb.jp

Thanks for the links! The shroud for the AC is more than I want to spend on an old, iffy AC. Unless we could retrofit a generic one, the cheapest I can find is $220 plus shipping. I think I could spend a little more and find a good used unit.

I'm thinking for the once or twice a year we would actually use the AC, we should replace AC with a fantastic vent and use the portable room AC we have already.

The fridge access door will be easier to find a replacement for.

I read my last post, not very clear. My AC is an emerson quiet kool 1350. A replacement shroud is around $250. I am hesitant to spend that kind of money on a 29 yr old air conditioner. It works, but.....

I'd much rather fit a generic shroud for around $100 but still looking. I've been told this AC doesn't really need a shroud, but it is pretty ugly without it.

Since I'm not sure how often we would use AC, I may remove it and replace with a fantastic fan.

Experimented today with an LP free standing room AC that vents out a window. (Not window AC)
This may work for the couple of times we camp in warm places with electrical hookups.

Or, maybe the emerson unit is worth a new shroud. Who knows!?

Well, it was the lower vent, and it suspect it was already a replacement because it didn't fasten on very well. I'm still looking for a replacement that will work. I found one that I can remove frame and all, but would rather replace just the door.

Update on parts.

I found a shroud at an RV parts and salvage place, $40, a few cracks we will mend. Then got a fridge access door at the local RV store. It isn't the original metal one, but a sleek plastic one. Looks pretty good. I had to drive a few screws in new holes, which it didn't really want to do, but it works. I'll post pics tomorrow.