To Anyone Wondering About A Motorcycle Hitch Hauler.

Odyssey 4x4

I am about to be living in the Toyota full time with my girlfriend traveling across the country. I plan on bringing my motorcycle with me and have read a few threads about the possibility of the Toy hauling a bike that far back with the long frame. My truck has a rather sturdy looking trailer hitch so I took the plunge and decided to see what would happen. My bike (2008 Yamaha WR250X) weighs in at 300 pounds. The hauler weights about another 90. I installed the hauler and loaded the bike and it barely made the suspension squat with the new airbags.

Upon a stress test (the bike, hauler, and a 200 pound person applying full weight ~600 lbs total) the hitch began bending downward. The tiny welds on the hitch started to split so I unloaded everything. I will be totally reinforcing the hitch with new welds as well as adding heavy duty new support rails to the entire infrastructure.

So at this point I will say a stock reeves hitch is definitely NOT safe for hauling any heavy weight without added support.

I will keep the thread updated as to what I end up doing exactly!

30zWIcS.jpg

I guess you're glad you decided to test the setup 'statically'. Imagine doing a 'dynamic' test and watching your bike disappear in your rear view mirror!

I would certainly be crying and cursing.

Nice WR, Somewhere on this board I have posts about needing to carry my XR 250. I ended up with a trailer with 40# loaded toung weight. To reinforce the frame for the 400# load of a bumper hitch required reinforcing all the way back to the rear axle where the truck frame stops, not real "do Able"

Nice WR, Somewhere on this board I have posts about needing to carry my XR 250. I ended up with a trailer with 40# loaded toung weight. To reinforce the frame for the 400# load of a bumper hitch required reinforcing all the way back to the rear axle where the truck frame stops, not real "do Able"

Follow my thread in the link provided above. I was able to reinforce the frame over a foot into the original truck frame which provided plenty of stability for the hitch hauler. and I love my WR!

Great job & great report Anthony, now you are in the road test stage and I want to know how this turns out. Originally I wanted to go with the Pack Jak that goes under your skid plate and jacks up the bike, but got talked out of it by my welder friend, but he was looking at going outside the frame rails and having to cut around many obsticles, you way is much easier.

Somewhere on this site I asked the same question, then posted what I did about it. I got the 4x8 harbor freight 1700 # trailer, put in an expanded mesh floor, and put my bike (Honda XR250L, about 290 #) on the trailer with the hitch on a scale. I moved the bike back and forth until I had 40# tongue weight, and placed the front wheel "shoe" at that point so when the bike is slipped into the wheel shoe and tied in I only have 40 # on the ball. I welded the square receiver to the crappy 4" "bumper" and have been towing the bike everywhere I go. Mileage suffers (12-16 MPG) but when I pull the same bike on my pickup the mileage also drops 2-3-4 MPG. Put a backup camera on and backing up is easy.