Wedgewood 12130 Oven Issue: Pilot Lights Fine, But Oven Will Not Start

I'm a newbie with a 1985 Toyota Dolphin. The Wedgewood 12130 range oven pilot will light and stay lit. The oven control seems to have no effect as the oven will not come on. I messed with a small screw under the control knob and I can get the oven burner to light up, but only slightly. It goes out after a couple of minutes. Upon suggestion, I used a needle and cleaned the oven burner orifice. Didn't help. Range burners all work fine. The oven actually looks like it has never been used. I did move the thermistor that was near the pilot moving it into the pilot flame. When red-hot it seems to allow the oven burner to light up, but the flow is limited and unaffected by the oven control (other than turning off the pilot and oven entirely). Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Steve

No. I've only held the knob in for 10-15 seconds - long enough to be sure the pilot stays on. I'll have to try it for 1 minute. Thanks.

What? I have a wedgewood stove from an 86 so it can't be much different. There is no holding the pilot button in. You just turn it to pilot, light it, then turn it to your desired temp. My oven burner lights almost immediately after turning it up. Some other problem going on here. Bug nests in burner assembly? Bad thermostat?

Linda S

I'm wondering if it is a bad oven control. This control seems to work fine for the pilot, but there is no effect when after turning on the pilot you turn it to 120 or above.

I have done the "hold-a-lighter-under-the-thermocouple" until it is red-hot. This did seem to induce the main burner to come on, but only weakly and only briefly. The oven control knob seemed to have no effect on it.

Corbin K, thanks for the video. I was wondering what it looked like for the oven burner to actually flame on like it should. Now I know that mine has not come on full strength, yet.

• 3 weeks later...

The oven now works! I ended up moving the thermistor right into the oven pilot flame. This would heat the thermistor to red-hot and the main burner would light, but not strongly. I also took off the oven control knob and adjusted the pilot screw to maximum pilot flame (by watching the lit pilot and adjusting the screw). This didn't seem to solve the oven-lighting problem either. So, I took a risk and disassembled the oven control (2 screws on the front of it). The rebound, when pushed in, hadn't been great and once apart it appeared that the grease in the control had gotten old and sticky. I cleaned up the part I had out, re-greased it and reassembled the control. Now the control knob seems more responsive and when attempted the oven main burner lit and the oven will now heat up to over 400 degrees! There seems to be no control of temperature, but I can live with this.