1982 Oaklander Diesel Or 1984 Unicorn 22R... Help!

guitarlover519

Hey guys! I am back! and happy to be. I had to sell my old beauty a year or so back due to financial issues, (and she was rotted out) and now i am about to be purchasing a new rig!

I found two near me, a 1984 Unicorn with 131k and a 1982 Oaklander diesel with 82k!

I have personally seen the unicorn, and it is a bit rough... It does have new brakes and a new clutch and water pump. Everything seems to work on it, but it is quite rough around the edges. It needed a bit of starter fluid to start, and blue a puff of blue smoke when we got her running.... It ran ok though! def needs a tuneup. It has a spot for a generator and a indicator board which is nice.

The oaklander is a bit more, but VERY clean. Brand new tires and fridge, no known issues he says. I know they are grossly underpowered at 62hp, but i dont need to go anywhere fast! I am honestly leaning towards the diesel... But i want to know if anyone here can tell me how reliable they are... thats really ALL i care about.

I have a full summer with many trips planned... Any input??

GLAD TO BE BACK!

Diesels are usually much more reliable than gasoline engines. Fewer parts and systems to wear out. They tend to be harder to start in cold weather and may have glow plugs to aid in that. They offer more torque at low RPM so they can seem to be more powerful than their horsepower rating. Did you take a test drive in both homes? (let the owner drive it if he/she is not comfortable with you driving). You can tell a lot by listening to how a vehicle rides. (all cylinders firing, bearings quiet, exhaust quiet, suspension smooth). The diesel home sounds like it was used regularly and maintained.

Tires are not cheap.

The diesel sounds good to me.

i have not seen or driven the diesel yet... but i did drive the gas home. It drove out as well as my old rig... The engine was making a whineing noise... It may have been the alternator from having a completely dead battery.

i am going to view the diesel today or tomorrow...

here is some pictures

diesel

post-6085-0-32818000-1395845698_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-86520800-1395845701_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-24476300-1395845706_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-63125800-1395845710_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-05063800-1395845715_thumb.jp

IMG_0897.MOVIMG_0897(1).MOV

this is a video i took of the unicorn....

The diesel looks pretty good and it has the cool factor. They are still much in demand so I'm guessing it's a solid engine. As for the Unicorn I have never heard of one. Makes it harder to compare. I'm also guessing both of these rigs have axle issues. Did your Sunland Express have the correct axle. So you posted the Unicorn vids before I posted this. It has some serious water damage on the roof. I vote for the diesel but your still gonna need an axle

Linda

Linda,

the unicorn had extensive water damage on the roof. But had since been "repaired". it no longer leaks, but the ceiling is nothing more than some sort of cardboard he put up and its falling down...

The unicorn had the 6 lug axle installed in 2011, diesel is also a 6 lug.

Linda,

the unicorn had extensive water damage on the roof. But had since been "repaired". it no longer leaks, but the ceiling is nothing more than some sort of cardboard he put up and its falling down...

The unicorn had the 6 lug axle installed in 2011, diesel is also a 6 lug.

Well very cool that they both have the 6 lug. I still vote for the diesel. I just love the sound of a diesel. What can I say

Linda S

me too! i am really leaning towards it. Just wanted to make sure they were as reliable as the 22r

wow! that answers it for me i think! i believe i may be one of those rare diesel toy owners this saturday! I CANT WAIT!

So i bought it! its in beautiful condition. Rides out great. Got GREAT gas mileage on the way home.... 1/4 tank in 69 miles... Need to see what the tank size is.

BAD NEWS THOUGH. had the damn 5 lug even though he said it was 6. GOOD news is, i talked him down to 2,050 from 3,500....

I have access to a 6 lug and tires and rims. Anyone in the chicago area that will help get this task done? willing to pay good money for help///

If not, any idea how many hours of labor a shop would charge for the swap?

more pictures tomorrow