Adding Handle Near Entryway

bjkenny

Have an 87 Dolphin with ribbed sides (is that the right term?) With the ribbed surface, one end of handle will be over the recessed area of the sidewall.

Is there a good way of raising that surface to provide good clean contact, rather than filling the gap with silicone?

A wood block, add some paint and it will look good. Use long bolts and fender washers inside. That way you can use it and not pull it off.

A wood block will work fine although painting it may be a bit of a pain in the years to come. I've mounted a couple of things on the surface of my '85 Dolphin with ribbed aluminum sides but I didn't use wood for the block. I got one of those white, nylon (or is it plastic?) cutting boards from a thrift store years ago and I just cut a piece of the board whenever I need a mounting block. The cutting board I have is about 1/2" thick and cuts easily with most any kind of wood cutting saw. The stuff is mostly inert, doesn't change color, never needs painting and actually looks pretty good! I bedded the back side with black butyl window putty tape. The tape fills in the hollow places if you double it up and the rest of the block just gets a single layer.

The butyl tape is usually available at most RV stores and you can find the cutting boards at home supply places or Bed, Bath and Beyond.

John