So What Year Is Your Toyota?

Derek up North

Btw the chassis doesnt seem to have a thing to do with the parts your toyota uses.

Mine is an 84 but all parts are 85 so far. None are 84.

but still good to know right? Then again i actually do have a toyota motorhome.

Well i also have an 85 engine on an 84 chassis.

The chassis does not actually care what year it was made in. It could sit for a long time.

What about you do you have a friend or a family member with a toyota motorhome to try this out?

Well i also have an 85 engine on an 84 chassis.

The chassis does not actually care what year it was made in. It could sit for a long time.

What about you do you have a friend or a family member with a toyota motorhome to try this out?

That must be very rare (<1%) and valuable. Too bad the engine's shot. :( Maybe you could drop in an '86. :)

BTW, what engine parts from an '85 don't work on an '84? I'm sure this would be valuable information to pass on.

the majority of them are incompatible

I would say actually all engine parts are incompatible.

Spark plugs and wires are the same things like that. Completely different design between 84 and 85

You dont need to pass stuff like that on. Pretty much everyone here knows stuff like that but you.

you dont probably because you dont have one.

Ya possibly but it is an 85 model. You do understand the body is just a body thd engine can be put in later.

When i got it like year and a half ago i wondered if it was a first gen 22re but it isnt.

Every other 85 dolphin ive seen in person and i can see one right now is a 4 speed 22r

Derrick if you do own a toyota motorhome just take a pictiure of it

Have you ever driven it? Has it been a long time?

If you do just type the vin into that website and tell us what comes out

I'm sure glad I have better things to do with my time than worry about whether or not Derrick has a Toyota motorhome.

Is your life suddenly going to be complete if he says "no"?

Do you win some prize? Just some smug satisfaction for a few days, till you find someone else to insult?

Chassis determines the parts you need. The VIN, more than the year. The year matters, but changes happened within years. My 78, for example, was built in late 78. Most times I go to the dealership for parts, they need to know whether my truck was built in early or late 78, because they have different parts, depending. That's where the VIN comes in. It will tell them exactly what your truck needs.

Assuming no one in the past 20 or so years has swapped things out before you bought the vehicle.

Hold on if that is the case then i have an 85 chassis even though 84 is written on the front bumper.

Entirely possible ill do the vin test to see whos mistaken

And that is the case it says 1984 right on the vin plate but the decoder says 1985

ill take a picture for you

Hey you guys, stop beating up on Derek over such dumb questions...does he have an RV or not?

Derek, that sure is one cool vintage house on wheels - even without skinny dually wheels!

Also, I too could not make that VIN checker site to work for me. Was I supposed to send money to CarFax , or use the free one. It just didn't work for me.

P.S. Derek usually brings a huge wealth of great things & ideas to this site! (Except this VIN checker appears to suck)

~Riverman77

As John Lennon said ...

All we are saying " is give peace a chance " !!!!!!

O ... I forgot

Luv ya Rig Derek ... It's retro

Except this VIN checker appears to suck

I'm not sure why it appears to not work. I just 'borrowed the VIN (JT4RN63B0G0021482) from:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-TOYOTA-SUNRADER-17-GAS-RV-4X4-TURBO-EFI-5-SPD-AC-22R-TEC-6-LUG-NUTS-1-TON-/151192995565?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

This is what the VIN Checker gave me:-

VIN: JT4RN63B0G0021482

WMI / VDS / VIS: JT4 / RN63B0 / G0021482

Model: Pickup

Type: Truck

Make: Toyota

Model year: 1986

Manufacturer: Toyota Motor Corporation

Manufactured in: Japan (Asia)

Plant: Hamura, Japan

Sequential number: 021482

Body style: Pickup

Body type: 2 Door Cab

Doors: 2

Driveline: 4WD

Engine capacity: L4, 2.4L; SOHC

Engine series: 4-Cyl. 2.4L

Engine type: L4, 2.4L; SOHC

Fuel type: Gasoline

Safety restraints: Active belts

Series: 6

Trim level: Turbo

Vehicle type: Pickup Truck

Another:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Toyota-RV-4-speeds-electric-Overdrive-124000miles-/301082125754?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4619e4a5ba&item=301082125754&pt=RVs_Campers

VIN: JT5RN55D1E0049258

WMI / VDS / VIS: JT5 / RN55D1 / E0049258

Model: Pickup

Make (Manufacturer): Toyota

Model year: 1984

Manufactured in: Japan (Asia)

Plant: Japan

Sequential number: 049258

Engine capacity: 4 Cylinder, 2.4 L, SOHC

Engine series: 4-Cyl. 2.4L

Fuel type: Gasoline

Series: 5

Vehicle type: Incomplete Vehicle (typically a convertible)

Derek,

I tried using the VIN checker again tonight. I did get a 'little bit' better results this time. But, most of them wanted be to join and send money etc.

I never did get the detailed results, as you did, for FREE. Thanks anyway for posting the link.

~Riverman77