Epic 1St Road Trip

notsobigkahuna

About 6 weeks ago, I picked up a really clean 86 Slumber Queen. Drove it home and parked it. It was cold here in Canada so didn't really have a chance for a shake down cruise. At the start of the holiday, a buddy and I headed off for the Florida Keys. The short of it is, we did around 6500 km round trip, did some great urban camping. Paid for 5 nights out of 13 away. Made it to Key West and back. The truck was a champ. Only issue was the heat related, the brake fluid got really hot and affected the brakes and power steering. Got a lot better once I replaced the heat shield. Mileage was not great at the start but improved dramatically with heavier grade oil.

You said that your gas mileage improved with heavier oil? Isn't that a little strange? What else was different? Maybe 50 degrees (f) warmer weather had something to do with the increase in gas mileage.

I am glad to hear that your trip went well. What kind of places did you stay at for free?

Nice Trip ....

We are on our first drip too from Canada .. Bought our Dolphin in the late fall , we are currently half sway down the west coast of Mexico

Our millage has inproved too .. I'm sure it's due to the warm weather .

Toyota's Rule !