Tires

ChairmanMeow7

I am looking for new tires for my recently purchased Toy. I currently have passenger car tires on it , and I feel I really need to upgrade to the proper tires for safety reasons , and for peace of mind of hopefully not getting stranded somewhere.

I was given a quote of about $900 , installed , for 7 (as I want a spare as well) Vredestien 185/75-14's , load range D. They are radials. Have any of you had any experience with these tires (and if so , what are they) ? And would you say they are strictly summer tires (I would like something that MIGHT allow me to go through some light Winter driving , if neccessary). The guy at the tire store didn't seem to be able to tell me how they would be in light winter driving , but did mention the tread doesn't seem that aggressive.

I also considering a set of 195/75-14 Yokohamas , which I was given a quote of about $800 installed. I hear they are pretty good tires for our Toy rigs. I have 2 concerns about them though. I heard some owners say they got about 30,000 out of these. Is this what can normally be expected on our rigs , for a set of decent tires (seems kind of low mileage , but this is my 1st motor home , so I don't really know what to expect). I am also concerned that I think I heard at least one person say that these are terrible , for even light winter driving.

Are summer highway tires the only real option for our rigs ?

So what sounds like the better option ?

And what would be the differance between the radials and the bias ply (which I beleive the Yoko's are) , and what would be the differance between running the 185's and 195's (handling , mileage , etc.) ?

Hello, I am running with six Goodyear HT All-Season Heavy-Duty Truck Tires that I am pretty happy

with. I have put about 9,000 miles on them over the last two years and they still look new, and run quite. They are 185R14C (load range C, 1750 pounds at 55psi, 1700 pounds if used as dulleys).

Goodyear gives them the following ratings (1 to 10, 10 being the highest):

Dry - 7

Wet - 6

Snow - 5

Off-Road - 4

Quite - 8

The six of them costed $870 out the door, and that was without any sales price or promotions.

I noticed that Goodyear is currently running some promotions that could save one $40 to $80

on a set of tires.

I have only used them in light snow and they did fine, but from Goodyear's own rating, they are

probably average at best, but then again, you will have duellys in the rear and a lot of weight on

them, so you probably would have decent traction, at least better then the rated average / 5.

One of the reasons I picked the Goodyears is that a lot of dealers supply / serivce them. The

Goodyear tires stores are nationwide, Sears carries them, as well as a number of other national

tire chains (like Discount Tires).

Hope this helps,

Dennis...

Go to undefined and take a look at Hankook RA-08 tires on that site. Read the info concerning about how they compare to the top rated Michelin Agilis. The pricing is lower than you will find anywhere that I know of. Those are going on my Sunrader in about a week.

I purchased 6 Continental vanco-8 from tire rack (http://www.tinyurl.com/34s928) for $438 including shipping. Mounting and balancing were $70 so just over $500 for 6.

Watch out for Chinese made tires. There was a recall last month of over 400,000 Chinese made light truck tires

I just bought a set of 7 of the Honkook RA 08's , 185/75 R-14's. They were $611 delivered to my door from Bus Depot. Of course this doesn't include mounting and balancing.

Does anyone know what the reccomended inflation pressures should be for the front and rears ?

My rig weighs in at a whopping 6850 Lbs. and that's with no one in it , a little gear , an empty propane tank and I believe the water tank was full.

I would appreciate a response from someone ASAP , as I want to get these mounted tonight as I am planning a weekend getaway this weekend and I would like to either leave tonight or 1st thing in the morning.

Thanks for the help !!

I just bought a set of 7 of the Honkook RA 08's , 185/75 R-14's. They were $611 delivered to my door from Bus Depot. Of course this doesn't include mounting and balancing.

Does anyone know what the recommended inflation pressures should be for the front and rears ?

The tires will say on them what the max inflation pressure is. (it will be different depending on the load range of the tires). Use the recommended max pressure as a starting point and reduce if you feel that the ride is too stiff

• 1 year later...

FYI. The RA08's can be found at onlinetires.com today for $59 ea. That works to $481 for a set of 7. This site does not specifically say that the tires are D load range, but they give them a Load Rating of 102, which is 1,874 lbs per tire... And it calls them All-Season, while all of the others I am finding are Summer Rib tires. I want snow traction.

I have not yet decided what tires to put on my rig.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone looking at tires should check this report at http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Its pretty scary!!

Anyone looking at tires should check this report at http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Its pretty scary!!

Thanks for the article but after looking at it some thing bothered me. Every one of the vehicles they showed in the “grave yard” were SUV’s and most of the tires had side wall damage indicative of under inflation. Ford went thru a serious problems with their SUV’s and under inflation a few years back with loss of control and rollovers. I not saying that old tires are completely safe but I don’t think it is as serious a problem they are making it out to be if it was there would be lots of passenger cars in the pile of wrecks. If a radial tire is driven even 50’ flat it is toast still looks good but damaged beyond repair and under inflation will cause the same damage while driving.